New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Is my transmission going out?? Please reply!!

Old 10-04-2007, 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Is my transmission going out?? Please reply!!

Hello everyone. I have a 2002 Z28 A4. The car had 32,000 miles when I bought it. It now has 34,000 miles. I have a few mods done to the car. When I am driving at or around 2000 rpm in over drive the transmission seems to slip a little (sometimes). The RPMs will float up to around 2300-2400 but when I give it some gas it will rev a little higher, then lock back up. It doesn't do it all the time just sometimes. Also @ 60-65 mph sometimes if I mash the gas it slips a little when it down shifts but locks back up right away. Is this the transmission slipping or just the converter unlocking? The car doesn't throw any codes when this happens. I took the car to cottmans transmissions and we took the car for a drive on the interstate. The cottman guy had his little computer plugged into my ECM port but it didn't slip at all until I mashed the gas to let it down shift. The transmission showed no slipping and less than 1% converter slipping. He said that there is nothing wrong with the transmission but yet it still slips. He did say that with a tune at certain RPMS the computer could be telling the converter to unlock. Is this the case? I did purcase a new PTC 3500 stall converter but don't want to spend the money putting it in if I am just going to have to yank the transmission back out and have it rebuilt. Please help if anyone could tell me what might be happening here. Thanks
Old 10-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Banned

Sound like normal converter clutch operation. Try posting in the automatic transmission forum.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
Sound like normal converter clutch operation. Try posting in the automatic transmission forum.
I DID WITH ONLY 1 RESPONSE.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Call a transmission repair shop and tell them whats going on and act like you want to hire them to fix it...
Old 10-04-2007, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by brianfromhawaii
Call a transmission repair shop and tell them whats going on and act like you want to hire them to fix it...
I did this to. They are going to install my converter. He doesn't think anything is wrong with it. he Just thinks the converter is unlocking. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen to them. If so, what caused the problem.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

imput speed sensor to your transmission? or something like that it went out on my moms lt1 just a guess it sounds familiar to her problems with it
Old 10-05-2007, 01:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by odarabla
I did this to. They are going to install my converter. He doesn't think anything is wrong with it. he Just thinks the converter is unlocking. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen to them. If so, what caused the problem.
Ok if you want to find out if it's the converter unlocking or trans slipping just drive around with your foot on the brake with just enough pressure to unlock the tc clutch, see what it feels like then.
If thats not satisfactory I recommend getting on some medications. Think about it--- how many people need to check it before you believe one of them? Do you just want to hear that it's bad and you're disappointed when they tell you it's ok?
I deal with customers like this in my line of work all the time, they swear somethings wrong and keep calling us back, finally I just tell them I found the problem and changed a part when in reality I didn't do **** but check operation again. Well sure enough we go back for maintenance and they say it sure has been working great since you fixed it last.
It's all mental.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:56 AM
10 Second Club

Default What an ***!!!

Ok if you want to find out if it's the converter unlocking or trans slipping just drive around with your foot on the brake with just enough pressure to unlock the tc clutch, see what it feels like then.
If thats not satisfactory I recommend getting on some medications. Think about it--- how many people need to check it before you believe one of them? Do you just want to hear that it's bad and you're disappointed when they tell you it's ok?
I deal with customers like this in my line of work all the time, they swear somethings wrong and keep calling us back, finally I just tell them I found the problem and changed a part when in reality I didn't do **** but check operation again. Well sure enough we go back for maintenance and they say it sure has been working great since you fixed it last.
It's all mental.
Learn to read before you make stupid comments jack ***!! Also if you cannot make an educated comment please do not make an uneducated one!! I only took the car to one transmission guy and had it checked! If you read the thread I said it didn't act up when we went for a ride!! The only other things I've done was talk to other people about it and got there input. I talked to the Transmission guy again yesterday about installing my PTC converter and asked for him to check the transmission out again before he installed the converter. So I wanted to post an add on this site to see if anyone else has had this problem and maybe get some answers. I own and have owned plenty of Automatic cars and trucks and never ever had one slip like this before. Which tells me there is something else wrong here. I have also had trouble with a car where the mechanic didn't know his *** from a hole in the ground. He said nothing was wrong with it so I take it somewhere else and they find the problem within 15 minutes.. So don't come on my thread and act like a dick!!! I bet you do alot of buisness with that attitude pal!!!

Last edited by odarabla; 10-05-2007 at 05:41 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by odarabla
Learn to read before you make stupid comments jack ***!! Also if you cannot make an educated comment please do not make an uneducated one!!

Ah **** like this just makes my day, I love pissing people off.
Next guy you get in the car take him for hostage until he finds a problem.

@ 60-65 mph sometimes if I mash the gas it slips a little when it down shifts but locks back up right away. Is this the transmission slipping or just the converter unlocking?
Converter unlocking.

Is this the transmission slipping or just the converter unlocking?
When I am driving at or around 2000 rpm in over drive the transmission seems to slip a little (sometimes). The RPMs will float up to around 2300-2400 but when I give it some gas it will rev a little higher, then lock back up.
If this happens on level ground, steady throttle there may be a problem. My '02 used to be an A4 and it wasn't factory programmed to throw a code for this. It sounds like someone did some tuning on it to modify shift and tcc lockup points. Any chance of that?
I put in a shift kit at 32,000 miles and tuned the trans and had similiar issues until I got it right.
Does it lock up in third? It should, in fact after the shift kit I could feel my trans lock in third, unlock, shift to fourth, lock back. It was pretty consistant but due to the modified PWM valve and firmer tcc apply it was more noticable. I tuned third gear lockup out and made TCC disengagement more sensitive (releases with little throttle)
Go to the trans forum and ask Performabuilt, PM him if thats what it takes.
I don't know the guy and I'm not sure he likes that I send people to him, but he knows his stuff and is very willing to help. And you should really put a transgo kit in while the converter is out, if you do it might be a good idea to buy from performabuilt in exchange for advice, give him bussiness.
As for this info it's free to you, took me about 45 minutes to think it over, might be a waste of time who knows, just trying to help.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:15 AM
11 Second Club

It's all mental.
If you do this to your customers I am so glad I am on the other side of the country.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:33 AM
10 Second Club

Ah **** like this just makes my day, I love pissing people off.
Next guy you get in the car take him for hostage until he finds a problem.

Converter unlocking.

If this happens on level ground, steady throttle there may be a problem. My '02 used to be an A4 and it wasn't factory programmed to throw a code for this. It sounds like someone did some tuning on it to modify shift and tcc lockup points. Any chance of that?
I put in a shift kit at 32,000 miles and tuned the trans and had similiar issues until I got it right.
Does it lock up in third? It should, in fact after the shift kit I could feel my trans lock in third, unlock, shift to fourth, lock back. It was pretty consistant but due to the modified PWM valve and firmer tcc apply it was more noticable. I tuned third gear lockup out and made TCC disengagement more sensitive (releases with little throttle)
Go to the trans forum and ask Performabuilt, PM him if thats what it takes.
I don't know the guy and I'm not sure he likes that I send people to him, but he knows his stuff and is very willing to help. And you should really put a transgo kit in while the converter is out, if you do it might be a good idea to buy from performabuilt in exchange for advice, give him bussiness.
As for this info it's free to you, took me about 45 minutes to think it over, might be a waste of time who knows, just trying to help.
Now this is the sort of info I was looking for.. Thanks for all the info it's been very helpfull..
Old 10-06-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

good job making up guys
Old 10-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1 FORMULA
If you do this to your customers I am so glad I am on the other side of the country.
I don't work in anything automotive.
Anything to do with cars is just a hobby and I chose that when selecting a college class. This is exactly why I made that choice--so I could work all day doing one thing but if I'm sick of dealing with it I still have a hobby to come home to and enjoy doing.
And I don't rip people off money wise, I tell them I replaced something thats under warranty usually, or say it was a wire connection which is the cheapest repair in the flat rate book I HAVE TO charge from.
My point is some people swear they have a problem when they don't, but when they think you fixed something and really did nothing and they no longer have any complaints how do you explain that? I don't know how to explain it.

Search this Thread