Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New M12 Tranny On the Way

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New M12 Tranny On the Way

The next step in my attempt to bullet-proof my drivetrain/car as much as possible is almost complete (not that anything is EVER bullet-proof, but it gives me a little piece of mind when I'm dumping the clutch at 5,000...). I have a Six Speeds, Inc M12 GTO tranny on the way to my house. It will be going in as soon as I get it and I just needed to gloat a little bit since I'm pretty psyched about it.

According to Six Speeds, it is rated at 700rwhp and 700rwtq (which is great because although I'm not close to stock, I'm not putting out numbers anywhere near that). It has the better gear ratios because it is an M12, so I'm hoping that will help me out a bit at the track and on the street (I sort of have a bit of a vendetta against my brother and his 02 Z28, ie I've never beaten him before at the track or on the street, although I've been getting closer, so I'm hoping that every little bit helps, haha).

Does anyone else have this tranny (Stage 4 kit on their website, I believe)? I am curious to see what kind of a difference people noticed - or didn't notice - compared to the stock Fbody T56 gears. If nothing else, perhaps I won't be so afraid to powershift the car now (I never did before because I was always paranoid about destroying it).

Any comments, input, or advice is welcome!
Old 10-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only real advantages to it are the softer gear ratios which allow the car to pull in its power band longer but requires either lower gears or more power to work correctly and some people like the triple cone syncro setups better than the regular style found in the F body / Viper and Cobra units .

The strenght of the unit is because of the gear ratio more than anything else . I would say 700 hp is pretty safe but as with the other T56 27 spline units , you still have the main shaft as the weak link when making big power in a somewhat heavy car .
Old 10-05-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Why would it require lower gears or more power to work correctly? How is it any different than throwing higher final drive gears in the car? It's not going to change how the engine acts or anything like that except that it will put it in a higher RPM more quickly, which gets me in my power band more quickly and probably for a longer period of time during the course of a race.

I just don't understand the lower gears or more power comment. I've got 4.10s in my 12-bolt and I'm making about 400rwhp to the wheels. An explanation would be very helpful! Thanks!
Old 10-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Banned

By changing the gear ratio you are forcing the car to pull its own weight more than with a lower ratio unit . This is a good thing if you have the horsepower to pull it or a little more gear in the rear end to help it along . The M12 gear ratio was designed for a larger engine with more power . I think in your application depending on your setup , it will be a nice upgrade .
Old 10-06-2007, 04:10 AM
TECH Resident

Default Just got mine installed

m12 cam today along with texatraila clutch . Just finished it up 30 minutes ago. its now 4 00 in the morning ugggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
Old 10-06-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just finished my mn12 swap with and upgraded spec3+ clutch and flywheel. It definatley
is a lot different than my t56, im still trying to get used to the new gear ratios and the car staying in the power band. So far i like it
Old 10-06-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds good! Slight complication but mine is supposed to be shipping out from Six Speeds on Tuesday! Can't wait to get it!

Quick Reply: New M12 Tranny On the Way