Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sound Deadening - Close cell foam or butyl rubber for absorbing road noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound Deadening - Close cell foam or butyl rubber for absorbing road noise?

I have a huge roll of carpet foam that I could use under the existing carpet or under ozite. Questions that I have are:

would replacing the fiber/cloth stuff attached to the factory carpet with the foam carpet underlay have any benefit?

would this suppress/stop more noise than a butyl rubber mat like edead?

The thing is I just read on another forum that butyl rubber is more for stopping vibration than absorbing sound and closed cell foam helps to absorb sound better. my car doesn't rattle much or vibrate so I am thinking that I need to go with closed cell foam. My car does not have a system in it and don't care about helping the speakers sound better as much as I care about keeping the road noise out of the car/absorbing it- any added audiophilie benefits are certainly a plus though. Not really sure if the carpet stuff is closed cell foam though or even if it will have any benefit?
Old 10-05-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use both. The more material, the better. The mass-loaded stuff for low frequency, the foam for high frequency. You can keep your stock carpet padding and add extra foam if you want. I got rid of mine and used 2 layers of Ensolite from RAAMaudio, and I also used some RAAMmat and I put some of the RAAMmat plus some Second Skin sludge in the doors and just the sludge behind the sail panel speakers.

Even with that, there's still lots of road noise, but it's notably reduced.

You can also get a liner sprayed on the bottom of your car (something like rhinoliner used for truck beds) and that'll help. I haven't done that, but I've read of people doing it.

Quick Reply: Sound Deadening - Close cell foam or butyl rubber for absorbing road noise?