Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter LT's & O/R Y Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pacesetter LT's & O/R Y Review

I'm bored sittin at home, so I thought I would write a review of my new Pacesetter LT's and O/R Y.

I was very satisfied with the quality of the pieces. Coating on the headers was nice and even, thick flanges, both O2 sensor threads appeared to be intact (I was worried about that after I read some complaints about stripped threads.) Everything fit together nicely.

The only complaint I had was in the merge of the Y pipe. It had an approx 3/4 in lip that stuck out into the drivers side pipe where it merged into the Y. It was probably left from when the pipe was cut, and no one cleaned it off with a grinder. I dont know of anyone else has had this problem, but anyone that buys this Y might look before you install it.

Heres a pic of the pipe with the lip.

The pics are looking in from the passenger side pipe. To the left is going to the I pipe, right is back toward the drivers side header. The pics dont show it very well, but you can see where the weld is on the right side, then you can see the lip going directly into the drivers side pipe.

I thought that would be a major flow restriction, especially since the merge isnt the best to start with. I decided something needed to be done to fix it, so I puled out my die grinder and a couple of carbide cutters I had from a porting job a few months ago.

About 20 min later the pipe looked like this:

Its not very pretty, but I didnt want to grind too much out because I was driectly on the weld. Last thing I wanted to do was eat through the weld, and those carbide bits work very fast. Last I polished it up with the 80 grit sanding bit. It looked much better (again hard to tell from the pics) and there shouldnt be any flow restriction between the 2 pipes.

Overall, I'm very happy with the pacesetters. Install was very easy, nothing like some of the nightmare stories ive read on here. So far nothing has rubbed on the floorpan or the ground. I have just as much clerance as I did with the stock pieces. I would recommend this kit to anyone wanting an inexpensive but quality header.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 with pacesetters also. nice quality for the price. it really woke my car up big time!! sounds really good with my magnaflow catback!! it keeps pulling way up the rpm!! happy i went with it. couldnt see myself blowing an extra 5-600 bucks on a set of headers!! good stuff!!
Old 10-06-2007, 01:50 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrod7687
Overall, I'm very happy with the pacesetters. Install was very easy, nothing like some of the nightmare stories ive read on here. So far nothing has rubbed on the floorpan or the ground. I have just as much clerance as I did with the stock pieces. I would recommend this kit to anyone wanting an inexpensive but quality header.

The only complaint I had was in the merge of the Y pipe. It had an approx 3/4 in lip that stuck out into the drivers side pipe where it merged into the Y. It was probably left from when the pipe was cut, and no one cleaned it off with a grinder. I dont know of anyone else has had this problem, but anyone that buys this Y might look before you install it.
I helped a buddy install Pacesetters. It was a little harder getting the ds header to slip in, but there were no nightmare fitment issues like I had with my XS's. I second your Pacesetter recommendation.

Except for the XS being polished stainless, the Y-pipe looks identical - even down to the lip on the inside. I did like you; I carefully ground it down to the welds and it opened up quite a bit. I ended up having a catted Y built because I didn't like the sound of it, though.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I helped a buddy install Pacesetters. It was a little harder getting the ds header to slip in, but there were no nightmare fitment issues like I had with my XS's. I second your Pacesetter recommendation.

Except for the XS being polished stainless, the Y-pipe looks identical - even down to the lip on the inside. I did like you; I carefully ground it down to the welds and it opened up quite a bit. I ended up having a catted Y built because I didn't like the sound of it, though.
I had more trouble with the drvers side too. I did have to cut the casting tab from the side of the block, but that took about 1 min with a sawzall.

I like the sound of mine, but its way to loud for my taste now. I have a dynomax ulta flo cat back on order. I hope that quiets it down enough, if not i'll be looking into a catted Y also.

Just for comparison, heres a before and after vid.

Stock manifolds and Y:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w_1fIZrMFg

Headers and O/R Y, same cat back as above:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqjz_22SGVU
Old 10-06-2007, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

Nice writeup...gotta love the pacesetters for the money.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good writeup. I am thinking about purchasing some Pacesetter LT's as well as the ORY. Hopefully that will wake up the SLP dual/dual catback some.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Just installed my pacesetters last night and so far so good. Had a little trouble getting the driverside up past the steering colum, but we finally got it in. Unfortunately right now I've got open headers until next weekend. The base hobbie shop started closing down on us at 10:30pm and there was no time to get my catted TSP Y pipe hooked up. We had to finish quick or I would've had to leave my hawk.....HELL NO! I'll have a much better assessment when my exhaust is all hooked up. Right now my car is literally scaring other drivers off the road. Should be a fun week!

Good thing it's not a daily driver.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Good writeup. I am thinking about purchasing some Pacesetter LT's as well as the ORY. Hopefully that will wake up the SLP dual/dual catback some.
I've heard one car with LT's O/R Y and the SLP dual/dual. It woke it up quite a bit from stock. Its louder, but not loud enough to annoy anyone inside or out of the car.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just did my pacesetter today, they went in extremnely smooth, but I also replaced my motor mounts with prothanes, so I had plenty of clearance with everything. Didn't have to pull a single sparkplug or cut of the casting flash. Very easy install, of coursae the motor mounts were a whole other story.

BTW: I had the lip in the Y as well, Only I didn't grind it down, I actually think the lip will help smooth out the flow of the exhaust gases as it merges, but I also may just be lasy as f#$k and didn't want to go through the trouble.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:11 PM
12 Second Club

mine has the lip as well, but i doubt im gonna take the time to fix that...
Old 10-07-2007, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

+1 for the lip but i didnt bother grinding it cause im getting 2 e-cutouts put on it before the pipes turn and having a flowmaster merge put on so that whole piece will be gone.

Had the same problem with my driver side header. But i had installed pacesetters a couple times before on my buddies cars so it was no sweat. Only other header ive installed was Kooks they went on like a dream but i dont have the wallet for them.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by maroboy28
mine has the lip as well, but i doubt im gonna take the time to fix that...
It probably didnt help that much, but im just **** about things like that. I had a few days to wait before i installed everything, so i had some spare time to work on it.

raven_450 that sig pic is great lol
Old 10-07-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

Were it is "dimpled" for clearance, will that actually hurt flow at all? I'm also contemplating on whether to get this setup or not.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

I dont think it will hurt the flow. The pipe is wider on the top where its dimpled, so im thinking that will make up for it. If i was thinking I would have snapped a closer pic of it.

My car is a daily driver that will see very little track time, so i would rather have the clerance even if it does cost me a few hp, but again, I dont think it will.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1_bad_TA
Were it is "dimpled" for clearance, will that actually hurt flow at all? I'm also contemplating on whether to get this setup or not.
My ORY wasnt dimpled and I wish it was because it always bangs off my Torque arm and one spot on the drivers floorboard. I'll take bends in place of that anyday!
Old 10-07-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

my Y pipe was like that to.. i just used a dremel on it,

itherwise i am realy pleased with my set up, by far the best ground clearance iðve seen on a Fbody with lt's
Old 10-07-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually, quick question. I have Hooker Super Comps on my TA and had to take the engine off the mounts to get the driver's side on. Did everyone get theirs in without doing that??? I'm thinking of swapping them out, but am not taking the motor off of the mounts again unless absolute needed (poly mounts/PITA). Plus my ground clearance is crap on my y. Anyway, is this the case because if so i know what set of headers I'm buying. Thanks guys
Old 10-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
Actually, quick question. I have Hooker Super Comps on my TA and had to take the engine off the mounts to get the driver's side on. Did everyone get theirs in without doing that??? I'm thinking of swapping them out, but am not taking the motor off of the mounts again unless absolute needed (poly mounts/PITA). Plus my ground clearance is crap on my y. Anyway, is this the case because if so i know what set of headers I'm buying. Thanks guys

The only thing I had to do was cut the casting tab on the drivers side of the block. Other than that it was just a matter of unbolting the old and bolting up the new.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pacestters are great for the money and better if they are "RACE USE ONLY"... My friends LS1 set and my other friends LT1 set both had the AIR tube break off on them. One more reason I am glad I went with the Race set!
Old 10-07-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's not only on Pacesetters, my buddy has a set of Kooks and it happened to him. Small welds right there directly off the head don't last very long But that's what I want to hear hotrod7687. The only reason I want to take my damn mounts off again for for an engine swap or new K-member. That is the most PITA thing I've ever done is those damn mounts!!! Thank you,
Mike