General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Lucas Oil Stablizer

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lucas Oil Stablizer

Any of u guys use this in ur LS1s?? I bought a 98 T/A about a year ago with 49K on the clock. When I did the first oil change I used 5qts of mobile1 5w30 and 1qt of lucas oil stablizer. Immediatly afterware I started hearing a slight ticking noise. Been like that eversense. I kept on useing this setup and never thought about it. Yesterday I changed the oil in my truck and used mobile and the lucas, and what do ya know I just heard a ticking noise. Any thoughts?
Old 10-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

switch to german castrol 030..you can find it at autozone.... before doing an oil change though run some seafoam in ur crank case for 20 miles then change ur oil... the ticking should quite down. mobil one is way to thin.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never use 5w30. 10w30 for the win....
Old 10-08-2007, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

I would steer clear of ALL of the Lucas oil stabilizers (both mineral AND synthetic). If you check over on www.bobistheoilguy.com, you'll find that it's nothing but "bright stock" oil, which really does not help anything.

If you feel compelled to use additives (or "thicken" your oil), at least use one that also contains some useful ingredients, like Valvoline Synthetic Oil Treatment (VSOT). This stuff has a big dose of phosphorus, zinc, and molybdenum, but it also contains viscosity index improvers, so I would hesitate to add it in the winter (if you live where it gets cold).
Torco MPZ, Schaeffers 131, and Specialty Formulations' additives are also very good sources of "good" moly, which do not thicken the oil already in the crankcase.

Last edited by dailydriver; 10-08-2007 at 03:34 PM.