Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 Reverse Solenoid??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-56 Reverse Solenoid??

A buddy of mine is working on putting a T-56 into a mustang and is having trouble with the reverse solenoid. I wanted to see if you all know how the reverse lights work on this transmission. I was thinking that the reverse lights might not come on until the shifter is in the gate or the tranny is actually in reverse. I am trying to figure out the best place to wire up the reverse solenoid. I don’t know if I could tap into the reverse lights, or lots of people had said just use an aux switch. Just trying to avoid a switch while not using like the brake lights and wearing out the solenoid on constant open close.

Thanks

Last edited by Lukin; 10-08-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:00 PM
IMD
Banned

what kind of trouble exactly? if you do a search for t56 harness on ebay, there is a little place that sell the plug with pigtails for the reverse, speed, and neutral switches. im pretty sure the reverse switch grounds when the shifter is in the reverse gate and makes the lights come on.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

Well the problem he has is that the reverse solenoid defaults closed. In effect this locks him out of reverse. So he has to figure out a way to open it when he needs into reverse. Apparently it’s normal for people to do this by a simple switch to flip when reverse is needed. He is trying to avoid having a switch.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 10-09-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

The solenoid can be overriden just by pushing a little harder. Of course this isn't good for extended periods cuz it'll wear out bushings. I believe you can remove it completely and block it off, but that means you won't have anything keeping you from going into reverse if you miss 5th gear. an easy way to wire up a switch that is automatic is to wire it into the brake lights. It'll open up with the brakes pressed, so it's still a safety, but has a very slight possibility of hitting reverse mostly only though if he's downshifting to 5th. But it's probably the best option for him
Old 10-09-2007, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Yes he thought of that and was worried that it would wear out the solenoid to quickly. Last night I came up with idea of using a relay and wire it up so the clutch and the brakes both need to be pushed in order to open it up. Can you guys see any problems with this idea? Or will just the brakes not wear out the solenoid to much?

Thanks,
Adam
Old 10-10-2007, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen it powered through the brakes without a problem. Through the clutch as well is a better safety option but may not be required. These solenoids can handle the extra operation so that should not be a concern.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Cool.... Thanks

Adam

Quick Reply: T-56 Reverse Solenoid??