Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Rattle PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Rattle PLEASE HELP

What is the best way to fix a exhaust rattle? Please help me out ITS SO ANNOYING the rattle is only coming from where the headers meet the exhaust pipe. Mostly only does it after the car has warmed up. And i dont think its the Y piped cuz thats not where the sound is coming from but not sure. Please help.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:24 AM
Launching!

itsp rob your O2 sensors there is a little metal ring around the shroud on all 4 of them and they rattle very loudly , i had to use some high temp silicon to keep them from rattling, also inside of each O2 sensor there is also a metal piece that you cannot get to or fix without buying new sensors, that rattles around in there ( this is my current problem ) on the downside new O2 sensors are extremely expensive!
Old 10-09-2007, 03:46 AM
TECH Regular

You might need a good tune too. Depending on how rough your engine idles at different rpms you might feel the exhaust tap the K member underneath the floor boards (if you're running long tubes). Most of the install instructions for long tubes have you cut about 1/4" out of the K member to get the drivers side header to even fit in there. I went the other route and just removed the driver side motor mount and jacked the engine slightly which provided enough room for the header to squeeze in there. I would just jack up the car and get in underneath it and try to move it around and listen to where it's coming from. I'm running Hedman long tubes and have 1/16" clearance between my K member and the header. It rattled like an SOB but I got a HP Tuners tuneup and it made all the difference. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know its not the O2 sensors there brand new. And its always kinda have made the rattling noise but since i have taken my muffler off it has just gotten louder.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

my exhaust was rattling obnoxiously after LT and ORY install, it was becuz the y pipe was sitting on the tunnel brace thing-a-ma-bobber. i removed it and bought a DSL... problem solved
Old 10-09-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had doubble diamond subframes welded in , after that I had exhaust rattle. Went to a shop, the guy heated up the Y pipe with welder then stuck a crow bar inside Y pipe and pulled down with some weight, Did this before installing Magnaflow exhaust.