Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

anyone ever broke a rearend and trans at the same time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone ever broke a rearend and trans at the same time?

last week i left my buddies shop and everyone was standing outside so i had to show off.i floored it and power shifted second,the rear end broke as soon as i hit second.it was the loudest nastiest bangin clangin sound i've ever heard.i limped it back around to the shop tore it apart and of course the rear end was broke half the teeth were gone off the pinion gear.i went through the rear and put all new bearings and seals in it with a 4.10 gear.now it grinds going into 5th and 6th.it kinda feels like a split blocker ring or something.i wasjust wondering if the same thing ever happened to anyone else?
Old 10-08-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

That completely sucks to break 2 things at once. I got suckered into showing off at hooters last week, the girls there wanted me to do a burnout so of course when hot girls want you to risk breaking your car you make the obvious choice: run the risk and do it.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've seen it in autos so I'm sure it can happen in a manual. If the rear end breaks and just happens to lock up for a split second that energy from the engine must go somewhere. If it's not being used to move the car (because the rear end has momentarily locked up) then it will break the next weakest link. I would assume that would mean the clutch would slip.

I can't see, however, how it would affect 5th and 6th since you said it happened when you shifted to second. Might just be a coincidence.