General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help! Corvette won't start!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Corvette won't start!!

I just bought the car a week and a half ago - have about 20 miles on it. It has just been sitting in my garage. Now it won't start! All the accessories come up just fine, but when I try to crank it up, all i hear is clicking. What could be wrong???? At first it would sound more like it wanted to turn over, but then after a while it would just do the clicking. The accessories would still come up just fine though. I don't know if this is related or not, but I went into the DIC and turned off easy seat exit. When I try to start it up, for some reason, it still pushes the seat forward for some reason.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

I would say it may be the battery,,, sounds like it just doesnt have enough power to start the motor... Even with a low battery accessories will work.... Maybe turn everything off and try to start it. But just get a new batters and crank it up
Old 10-09-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Clicking can also be the starter. If you rule out the battery that is probably what it is. You could try smacking the starter with a hammer a few times (don't bang it so hard to dent it or anything, just a few solid whacks) and if it starts up then (or tries to) you know that is what it is. Smacking it doesn't always get the starter to crank though, but it is something to try.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

if the battery is fine, it could just be the cables from the battery to the starter.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The power seat and radio don't require many amps to run them, turn on your lightsfor a min.,see if they're dim. If you can get your hands on a "load tester" that can rule on the battery.$.02
Old 10-12-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just what i was thinking, try an autoparts store to see if they carry a load tester
Old 10-14-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Also check to see if the battery terminals are dirty/corroded. My Formula does that periodically and all I need to do is clean them and it's fine again.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

if its an orignal AC battery chances are that the positive post has correded out and will fall out. if you can get it started example get it jumped go to an auto store all should be able to test a battery and alt on the car. if those test good then take off your starter and take it up there and see if they will bench test it if it fires and tests good then it could be your cables or ign switch. good luck
Old 10-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably the battery. When you turn off the car just touch the button to turn it off, don’t hold it. If you hold it for two seconds that’s like turning the key to the on position, five seconds turns the accessories on. Back when I worked at a Corvette shop some people were doing this and ended up with did batteries.

Quick Reply: Help! Corvette won't start!!