Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Superchargers for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Superchargers for dummies

Okay, im concidering supercharging my car. My car is stock. Now. i know just slapping a supercharger on and driving off isnt the way it works. but the question i have is, what else SHOULD i do and what else do i NEED to do? simply put, whats recommended and whats required, you know? ive never dabbled in superchargers before, and this is the beginning of my research, and what better place to get going in the right direction, right? I would like to know my options too, as far as superchargers go. and yes i read the sticky about installing the turbo charger. would all of that apply here?
my car is a '01 WS6
Old 10-09-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

get your supercharger, get an intercooler, get bigger injectors (at least 36.5#ers or higher, don't go more than 42#ers unless you plan on having 800HP), get it tuned

check out my signature with my STS build, my dad and I did all of it and I made power in signature, about to have an intercooler this upcoming week

if I was going to do a supercharger, I would do an ATi procharger or a vortech... I'm just more towards ATI
Old 10-09-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say Call bob at EPP. If you want to Supercharge your car the right way its going to cost you around 7 grand. If you want to do it on the cheap around 5 grand. ATI is the only choice for LS1s. D1sc.(type of supercharger) Bob at EPP sells very good kits 100% ready to install.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/

You can PM me with anyquestions you might have. Im not expert but i have done what you want.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

ATi is procharger right? thats what i was just lookin at. also just read on the site that its recommended with the D1SC you upgrade engine internals as opposed to the P1SC. although you can upgrade the P1SC charger with the D1SC impeller. thats where i get lost. wouldnt that just be the D1SC model? or did i miss something.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So much to type.

PM sent.

D1sc you can grow with. You can run it like a P1sc but you dont have to worry about upgradeing when you build a motor. D1sc is fine on a stock bottom you just have to run low boost.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

haha ben, thats funny. too much to type.....you dont have to type it all. when i have a question i will ask you how about that? not being a dick....lol im just tryin to save you the trouble of writing alot of stuff. even though i want to take in as much as i can
Old 10-10-2007, 04:50 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BigBenz
I would say Call bob at EPP. If you want to Supercharge your car the right way its going to cost you around 7 grand. If you want to do it on the cheap around 5 grand. ATI is the only choice for LS1s. D1sc.(type of supercharger) Bob at EPP sells very good kits 100% ready to install.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/

You can PM me with anyquestions you might have. Im not expert but i have done what you want.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

This list may help answer some questions. Bob
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=540
Old 10-10-2007, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

ive looked at the EPP stuff, and its a little more pricey than say, WS6Store or some of the others. what does it include that they dont? sorry i read some of the item description but didnt have time to read the whole thing.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

ok so i have been talking to a couple people, and i really like the D1SC idea, but i am gettin alot of "the bottom end wont hold up" and "those are really noisy" when i have read alot that the D1 is actually pretty quiet. so whats the truth here?

also, what about magnachargers? anyone have any experiance there?
Old 10-11-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The D1 is a little noisy at idle but after that you can't hardly hear it as much.... If you have a loud exhaust you'll definitely hear that more... I guarantee if you go with it, get the proper injectors, get it tuned right, get some good valve springs, don't drive it into the ground everyday and maintain it properly you'll enjoy it for many years... You can do that even on a stock bottom end if you keep it at 8 lbs or less... If you blow some meth you can be safe up to around 10 lbs... Just realize that ESPECIALLY in modifying a car there is A LOT of "oh my buddy did this or that and you do/don't want to do that" but then you can never check out their buddy's car because they really don't have this buddy... They just regurgitate some bs that they just read somewhere else... THIS is the place to be to learn EVERYTHING that you'll ever want to do to your car because 95% of anything you'd want to do someone (actually probably quite a few) has already done it...
Old 10-11-2007, 01:49 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
...get bigger injectors (at least 36.5#ers or higher, don't go more than 42#ers unless you plan on having 800HP),...
I would say don't get anything UNDER 42#ers. 36's won't be enough for even 6psi! For a stock bottom end, 42# should be good enough for 6-8psi with the addition of an inline pump, or a racetronix with a BAP. I used 42# injectors and an inline walbro on my stock short block at 6~7psi.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

so no horror stories about the bottom end going out after a D1 install? yeah i know taking care of it and respecting it will make it last longer, i have learned that frm my last car.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sure there are but there are horror stories about bottom ends going out after a h/c install.... It's usually those people that a. abuse their car and don't up keep it or b. don't have a proper tune... As long as your car is mechanically sound right now and you do everything right (pinning the crank if need be, running proper injectors, tune, don't run 87, don't hotlap the crap out of it, or any other things like this) you will definitely have it for many years if you so choose to... Just take it slow, do a lot of reading, become educated, and make well informed decisions... Honestly a lot of people go with Prochargers because they are pretty much fool proof once you know what you're doing... Change your engine oil often, headunit oil every 6,000 miles religiously, check your plugs every now and again, get you a wideband to monitor your AFR's (even if you get it tuned by someone else) and you'll be set...
Old 10-11-2007, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

epp has the best package out there right now with almost everything you need, just add colder plugs, guages and a dyno tune. f/i is expensive, its fun but not for everyone.

here is what one sounds like (ati d1sc) http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=MOV00469.flv
Old 10-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Make sure you upgrade your exhaust,it will make a noticable difference
Old 10-11-2007, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02NBMFormula
epp has the best package out there right now with almost everything you need, just add colder plugs, guages and a dyno tune. f/i is expensive, its fun but not for everyone.

here is what one sounds like (ati d1sc) http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=MOV00469.flv
i like your album. you documented alot. i like the install pics alot. thanks for the link! it was helpful
Old 10-11-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

EPP has the best package hands down. Also your bottem end will be ok if you stay under 500rwhp. Do the D1sc with long tube headers And fuel stuff. You will be under 500rwhp. Make sure you get the biggst supercharger pully. i think its 4.75 inch. You wil pull aroun 7-8 lbs of boost and be perfect. With a D1sc its east to blow your motor because people get power hungry. And all you need to do to get 100hp is put a 3.00 inch pully on. Dont Do a cam dont do anything besides long tubes and the procharger kit(D1sc).. And make sure you get a good tune on a dyno before you drive it hard at all!!!
I like were my car is at right now. With a Ls6 intake and a FMIC(frount mount intercooler) Ill be right at 500rwhp. Just make sure you stay at 6-8 lbs of boost no mater what anyone says. Your gonna see post like. "600rwhp on stock bottom end!!!"
You can do it, i can do it, but dont untill your ready.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

yeah, im not quite ready yet. im pretty confident this in the route im going to go. I dont want to dog the crap out of my car. im not power hungry (not this time around, i learned my lesson with my lt1) i just wanna know i have the power if i need it and make sure i can hold my own if challenged....you know? im not the type to take my car to the drag strip all the time. its kinda like carrying a concealed handgun, you dont always use it but its always there if you need it, you know? and yeah, this is an expensive endevor, but its also a little ways away before im ready to do it.

im basically saying i am not going to abuse it and im going to respect it. thats why im doing all this research way before i do it. so when the time comes i know what im looking for

Last edited by redchevcam; 10-11-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Im the only owner of a 35,000 mile garage kept weekend only,no dragstrip toy.Once you install the charger and get it tuned you are going to wish you had done it sooner.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

yeah i think ill be more like you juice.....thats the way i want to be anyways.

Quick Reply: Superchargers for dummies