New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 newbie (came to the dark side from Ford)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 03:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 newbie (came to the dark side from Ford)

LS1 newbie Dave here. I just bought my first LS1 car this week. I have been driving 5.0's and a recent 96 Cobra. I have a couple of questions, My car is an 02 Z28 auto. It has the monsoon stereo system in it and two of the speakers are blown. I was told by a guy in my hometown that you can not replace just the speakers. He gave me some line about having to replace the factory head unit and buy all new speakers. Is there any truth to this??? I really hope not! Also I am going to put a 40series flow on it Friday, as of right now the car is completely bone stock......completely. Will the muffler with out removing the cats help it any at all? My plans for the car are to put a Y pipe with a flow on it, SLP lid and a smoth belough ( however that is spelled ). I am wanting to keep this car for the most part stock, with the exception of the top few things, a set of 3:42 gears and a very minor tune, mostly just for a little timing and to kind of screw with the torque management. With these things do you think it is absurd for this car to run a 12.9o or so? sorry for the long write. any opinions or help would be appreciated. Thanks, David.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:26 AM
Launching!

This is not true, you can replace them with other stock monsoon speakers and be fine.
The aftermarket is very limited though if you want to change just your speakers.
The speakers are powered by an amp and rated at 2 ohms (instead of the generic 4 like most after market speakers are).
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/612644-monsoon-faq.html

Also check out okgmp.com since you're a fellow Okie
Old 10-10-2007, 04:37 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks I aprecaite the info. Soooo I guess the sound shop was not blowing smoke up my a$$ on that one. Well I have a gm discount so I guess I will just order some replacement speakers for it. I really do not want to mess with all the rest at this moment. Does anyone have any thought as to the rest of my questions? mainly concerning the mods. If so where are some good places that have good discounts on some of the parts?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do not get a dual chamber flowmaster ehatever you do these cars really need to breath. if you get a flowmaster get the single chamber. Something like a borla xr1 or slp loudmouth would be a better choice than a flowmaster would be.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Which two speakers are blown?

I would suggest against the 40series, while most who have it say it sounds good, the rest will say it's choking the hell out of your exhaust flow. If going with flowmaster, go with the 10-series, single chamber ones. That seems to be the common on for duals, not sure about y-pipes.

Gears-3.42's won't really be worth the time/money. Seems 3.73's are popular for A4's. I would suggest a stall either before gears or while doing gears, just be sure to match them together first. Call a sponsor for specific advice.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

skip the flowmaster....
Old 10-10-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

You really don't need the smooth bellow either. Just order a slp lid from a sponsor and a cat back of your choice.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have heard a lot of ls1 with cutouts right before it goes over the axle and they sound good but that is with cats
Old 10-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Launching!

I forgot to add the 40 series. Do not do that unless you've actually heard it on an ls1 and liked the sound. My car came with a 40 series muffler and I did away with it very quickly.
Also ask around on okgmp to find a good tuner.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackonblack02_Z
LS1 newbie Dave here. I just bought my first LS1 car this week. I have been driving 5.0's and a recent 96 Cobra. I have a couple of questions, My car is an 02 Z28 auto. It has the monsoon stereo system in it and two of the speakers are blown. I was told by a guy in my hometown that you can not replace just the speakers. He gave me some line about having to replace the factory head unit and buy all new speakers. Is there any truth to this??? I really hope not! Also I am going to put a 40series flow on it Friday, as of right now the car is completely bone stock......completely. Will the muffler with out removing the cats help it any at all? My plans for the car are to put a Y pipe with a flow on it, SLP lid and a smoth belough ( however that is spelled ). I am wanting to keep this car for the most part stock, with the exception of the top few things, a set of 3:42 gears and a very minor tune, mostly just for a little timing and to kind of screw with the torque management. With these things do you think it is absurd for this car to run a 12.9o or so? sorry for the long write. any opinions or help would be appreciated. Thanks, David.
I ran 12.90s @ 108 consistantly in my 01 auto Z28. Only mods were Pacesetter headers with their Offroad Ypipe, Dynomax bullet, SLP lid, and a tune.

with a 2.0 60ft on street tires

That was with the stock 2.73 gears
Old 10-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Banned

Flowmaster's are garbage
Old 10-11-2007, 01:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackonblack02_Z
i replaced my stock front speaders with $70 pioneers and they work good. I'm not big on sound systems so I didn't get high end speakers.

for the money, a lid is definately worth it. it's supposed to add around 10rwhp. even if it only adds 5rwhp it's still worth the $90. I spent about $1000 on my exhaust (PS LT headers and 3in Y pipe with Magnaflow catback) and it probably added around 20-30 rwhp. say you pay 100 for a lid that adds only 5rwhp. at the same ratio i paid 100 for 2-3rwhp cause 1000 divided by 10 is 100 and 20-30 divided by 10 is 2-3. lol in other words the lid has a good money to power ratio.

as far as the bellow goes i probably wouldn't do it. the stock bellow is shaped liike that for a reason, to flex when the motor torques.

with a lid y pipe and 3:42 gears I would say you'll probably run a 13.4 - 13.6 depending on track conditions and traction. but if you upgrade the stock torque converter and get some sticky tires you will definately get into the 12's...
Old 10-11-2007, 03:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slowjoe99
i replaced my stock front speaders with $70 pioneers and they work good. I'm not big on sound systems so I didn't get high end speakers.

for the money, a lid is definately worth it. it's supposed to add around 10rwhp. even if it only adds 5rwhp it's still worth the $90. I spent about $1000 on my exhaust (PS LT headers and 3in Y pipe with Magnaflow catback) and it probably added around 20-30 rwhp. say you pay 100 for a lid that adds only 5rwhp. at the same ratio i paid 100 for 2-3rwhp cause 1000 divided by 10 is 100 and 20-30 divided by 10 is 2-3. lol in other words the lid has a good money to power ratio.

as far as the bellow goes i probably wouldn't do it. the stock bellow is shaped liike that for a reason, to flex when the motor torques.

with a lid y pipe and 3:42 gears I would say you'll probably run a 13.4 - 13.6 depending on track conditions and traction. but if you upgrade the stock torque converter and get some sticky tires you will definately get into the 12's...

So the pioneers and the factory monsoon radio worked ok? Man that would be awesome! you mentioned something about upgradeing my torque converter.... What would you suggest and why. I am kind of old school when it comes to the converter. (ie. If the motor doesn't need it, due to lack of an aggresive cam that doesn't make power untill a higher RPM, than it would just hurt you power wise because stalls eat up a lot of HP) Is this not the same when dealing with an ls1 car? Thanks for all the info! Please continue to help me learn!
Old 10-11-2007, 04:34 AM
Launching!

The A4's are dogs down low so with a higher stall converter it will get you in the power band quicker. If you don't plan on doing a cam i would suggest 2800-3000 stall. As far as brand goes thats up to you and how much you want to spend. I got a hell of a deal on a TCI 3600 that i couldn't pass up so thats what i went with. Just check with some sponsors on here and they will fix you up.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1... throw a stall on.. itll wake that bitch up.. youll be like o ****... some gears.. no flowmasters... tune...
Old 10-11-2007, 06:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dont get the flowcrappers...get some TD's or a real nice catback...and do a converter....youll love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2007, 06:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

don't even bother with the flowmaster, just do the cutout before the axle and skip the bellow(worthless) I also was a converted "blue blood" and there are many things to learn about the LS1 so keep reading! leave the gears alone unless they are the 2.73's then go with the 3.42's but if they are 3.23's leave them, also a common stang upgrade is the mass air meter on a LS1 leave it alone also, if you want the stang sound you will have to go with true dual's but like one guy already said LS1's love exhaust! and for sure get a tranny cooler and a stall 3200-3600(sissy sized)4000-4400(if your serious) and the last thing you should know unlike the 5.0's the damn LS1's have to be tuned just about everytime you upgrade thats about the only thing that sux but you will enjoy the power! good luck!
Old 10-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

The title of this thread is what caught my eye - you didn't go to the "Dark Side" - you finally saw "The Light"
Old 10-11-2007, 09:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

DO NOT GET THE CHOKEMASTERS PLEASE. Get a nice cat-back, a nice sized stall,and a lip from SLP, and a good tune and you will enjoy it. Most people who start out always say they want to keep it close to stock but once you start feeling the power you will be asking about cams, headers,and heads. Trust me LS1's were graced with the touch of GOD.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Yea I also agree.. definitly do not go with flowmasters on an LS1 alone