New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car runs like crap after header install!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 04:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car runs like crap after header install!!

O.k. guys here it is. I cranked up the car yesterday to test drive it. It ran fine at first but after a little while it started running like crap. At idle it sputters but when I floor it the car wakes up and goes and runs fine! I extended one of the O2 sensers and think I might have crossed 2 of the wires. Would this make the car run like crap?? Thanks
Old 10-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by odarabla
O.k. guys here it is. I cranked up the car yesterday to test drive it. It ran fine at first but after a little while it started running like crap. At idle it sputters but when I floor it the car wakes up and goes and runs fine! I extended one of the O2 sensers and think I might have crossed 2 of the wires. Would this make the car run like crap?? Thanks

yes it would is the SES or check engine light on? but also usauly you will need a tune after headers, car will run fine and then some. unless you did cross the wire in that case read the code the car is giving and wat ever o2 it says is bad take it out and check your wiring. but still sometime just the fact that they get moved back will thro a code like mine did and you will need a tune.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your car will run rich after the header install but it should still run just fine without a tune. I would check your o2 wiring, make sure your plug wires are not touching the headers, and have your pcm relearn idle.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

i would recheck all your plugs and wires. car should run fine after a header swap.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

I changed the wires around and the car is running fine but now its throwing a check engine light. It idles fine it pulls strong but its throwing a code. WTF! I don't have any cats on the car and the rear O2 sensors are turned off. I gutted the cats and the car didn't throw any codes. Why would it throw a code now?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's the code ? Without knowing that, we'd just be guessing
It could be notthing to do with the header install
Old 10-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Launching!

did you break your coolant sensor also you may have melted the ground wire on the passenger side that grounds the o2 and maf sensors.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

mine did the same thing. you gonna have to get some one to turn it off for you.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

like what has been said already, go to some car parts store and get them to read the code, then look up the code to see what's going on.

once that's fixed, if it still runs crappy, you may try disconnecting the battery overnight (make sure you don't need to go anywhere the next day, or have other transportation), then reconnect the battery, start it up, and just let it idle for a while so the computer can re-learn idle. then do some slow, normal driving to let it learn that, then once it seems ok with that, test it out with some WOT.

Quick Reply: car runs like crap after header install!!