Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How much boost can it handle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How much boost can it handle?

I'm gathering info and pricing and about to soon start on a DIY turbo setup with the knowledge RICE ETR is generous enough to share. I plan on for a while running the stock short block (56k on it) with ARP rod bolts,my current 224/224 112lsa thunder cam,double timing chain, & SLP oil pump. On top of that I plan on running some 6.0L heads with thick Cometic gaskets, patriot gold dual valve springs with the titanium retainers, un ported with stock valves, the only machine work will be surfacing and making sure the valves seat properly. I plan on running my LS6 intake with Seimens Deka 63# injectors, & a Racetronix pump kit. My main question is what neighborhood of boost on 93 octane am I looking for, I'm trying to figure out what size & A/R turbo will work for me but I need to know first what kind of boost I'll be running to complete the formula. Also which is better a thicker gasket or thinner one, not for CR but which holds up better or does it matter? TIA

Hummer
Old 10-10-2007, 06:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lots of good ???s man i wish i could help but ill say that you have a great looking car!!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:29 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rickys S/C Z28
lots of good ???s man i wish i could help but ill say that you have a great looking car!!
Thanks!
Old 10-12-2007, 07:58 AM
10 Second Club

I want to know why people are only trapping close to 125 with stock bottom ends like I want to do? Is that the best that can be done without building a low compression iron block? I just figured a turbo car would be a little faster, please tell me I'm wrong!
Old 10-12-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not too many run turbo's but s/c on stock internals, not that I hear of anyways. Boost really isn't the deciding factor on stock bottom end reliabilty, its the power output. I think jsut the other day on here a GTO blew up his motor with a butmounted turbo on the dyno once he turned it up to 8#. Being turbo's are more efficint and generally make more power I'd say 10# no prob with the 6.0 heads but I think you'll be over the limiting factor of relaibilty. At 8psi I am sure you will make ample power and have a nice reliable setup, maybe turn it up when at the track but I don't think other than relaibilty I would screw around with the 6.0 heads. The only reason for them is to lower the CR so you can opt for more boost on stock bottom end. I am no guru but I think I'd leave it alone and boost 6-7psi on your current setup. Like I said unless you want the reliabilty and get most out of your engine than slap the 6.0 heads on. It will leave lesspower down low and not be 'as' street friendly, especially with bit of a turbo lag, usually not a problem with our cars though. Either way, it will be a fun ride. If you have the money, get some forged pistons and rods, slap on them 317's and boost away. Another topic is meth and some love it, others hate it. I am setting up my ride so it runs on pump gas and crank it up with the meth at the track. Good Luck!
Old 10-12-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im building a diy setup also using truck manifolds. I am also going to be on the stock block for at least a year. My goal is as much reliability as possible so i am also going to be using the 317 heads. I am planning on running 8psi and also meth injection. I am going to run the tc76 or tc72. I would say for you, you could probably runn 10psi with meth injection. Good luck on the build and keep us informed
Old 10-12-2007, 02:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PLucas
Im building a diy setup also using truck manifolds. I am also going to be on the stock block for at least a year. My goal is as much reliability as possible so i am also going to be using the 317 heads. I am planning on running 8psi and also meth injection. I am going to run the tc76 or tc72. I would say for you, you could probably runn 10psi with meth injection. Good luck on the build and keep us informed
Thanks, what AR are you going to be running & how did you determine what size and AR you plan on running? That's what I'm trying to figure out.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
Thanks, what AR are you going to be running & how did you determine what size and AR you plan on running? That's what I'm trying to figure out.
The A/R for these are 58, .69, .70, .81 or .96. You want a bigger a/r depending on how big your motor is. It effects the spool. You dont want to small because it will spin the exhaust blades too fast and the turbo will not be efficient at higher rpms. I believe this is right, someone correct me if im wrong.
I think i will go with a .81 or .96 a/r. Not sure yet, i havent done enough research yet.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

The A/R for these are 58, .69, .70, .81 or .96. You want a bigger a/r depending on how big your motor is. It effects the spool. You dont want to small because it will spin the exhaust blades too fast and the turbo will not be efficient at higher rpms. I believe this is right, someone correct me if im wrong.
I think i will go with a .81 or .96 a/r. Not sure yet, i havent done enough research yet.
I meant what AR are you planning on running? I want to run a stock bottom too, I thought you had already figured all this out lol!
Old 10-13-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
I meant what AR are you planning on running? I want to run a stock bottom too, I thought you had already figured all this out lol!
I am going to run a .96.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:27 AM
10 Second Club

I am going to run a .96.
Cool thanks, thats what I was looking for
Old 10-13-2007, 01:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd run 8# all day long with a FMIC, especially with 6.0 heads. I'm gonna set my 6.0L up for 8# and sell it. It's all in the tune, you can run 10 without meth, but reliability seems to drop quite a bit any time you exceed 8 on a stock bottom end. Good luck with the build man, I'm sure you'll be happy no matter what you decide to do!

Quick Reply: How much boost can it handle?