Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

asp pulley

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default asp pulley

last week i put on an ASP crank and alt. pully. and now for some reason the belts are squealing. i tried belt dressing, but that didnt work. so i thought that maybe it wasnt on all the way, so how do i know that it is on all the way, i torqued the old bolt to 240, then put on the new one 37 ft/lbs, then 140 degrees. the pullies looked aligned by eying it up, but when i look at the crank pully, it is not flush with the timing cover, there is about 1/4 of an inch of space, is this normal? did i do it right, and maybe i have a bad belt? anyone else have any ideas??

thanks
jimmy
Old 06-08-2003, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: asp pulley

A little space is normal. That's how mine is, too (so are a lot of others). Are you sure it's the belt? If the dressing didn't phase it at all, I'd look somewhere else. A pulley, maybe. During any of the installation, did you get coolant on any of the pulleys at all? I did once and the belt started squealing a week later. It was my belt, though. Have you tried addressing the lower A/C belt?
Old 06-08-2003, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

i could have gotten colant on one of the pullies, i have sprayed the a/c belt, but i am gonna take all the belts off, and spray the pullies with brake clean, then apply new belts,(i was told this by a friend who is a mechanic)

thanks again
Old 06-08-2003, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

I doubt your problem is the crank pulley (I'm going on 2 years and have never had any issues).

As you said, it might be coolant on the belts or it could be your idler going out (people have had problems with these).