Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable Drag shocks vs. Adjustable Coil-over

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adjustable Drag shocks vs. Adjustable Coil-over

can anyone tell me the benefits to either, as far as trying to get my car to hook? I've seen great e.t.'s with both. I'm sure most will probably say coil-over...my question is why? I notice that the really fast cars are using coil-overs. Thanks guys.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Coil overs use smaller springs 2 1/2" ID, AFCO uses a slightly larger ID spring I believe which way less and provide added clearance.

Coil over springs have a much larger spring rate selection compared to standard replacement stock size springs.

On your car I would use standard type adjustable shocks and factory type springs.

You really don't need coil overs to make your type of car run fast.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chrismorales75
Coil overs use smaller springs 2 1/2" ID, AFCO uses a slightly larger ID spring I believe which way less and provide added clearance.

Coil over springs have a much larger spring rate selection compared to standard replacement stock size springs.

On your car I would use standard type adjustable shocks and factory type springs.

You really don't need coil overs to make your type of car run fast.
Ok...thanks man. Im just concerned about getting my car to stick out of the hole once i start spraying it with a 175 to 200 shot on a 3100 stall.

anyone else?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Common starts are drag shocks front and rear, drag springs front and rear and air bag in the right rear.

Adjustable control arms that have adjustable brackets to tune the chassis to get the intersection point correct.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chrismorales75
Common starts are drag shocks front and rear, drag springs front and rear and air bag in the right rear.

Adjustable control arms that have adjustable brackets to tune the chassis to get the intersection point correct.
yeah...i know i will need aftermarket upper an lower control arms, sway bar etc...i just wanted to know if there were any benefits between the two types of shocks.
thanks,
Dre
Old 10-11-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you can adjust ride height with coilovers too, right? Can anyone confirm this one?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes you can adjust ride hight with coil overs, but you can also adjust springs without coil overs. I have 2 1/2 id spring on the rear of my Camaro with an adjustable spring mount, so there are other ways to adjust without coil overs.

Most adjustment with a rear coil over is done at the mounting bracket, the coil spring seat is usually adjusted to have the shock at a certain length and left alone.