Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with LT headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problems with LT headers

What are some problems that may been seen after you install Long Tube headers without the coating? And how do you solve the problem?
Old 06-08-2003, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: Problems with LT headers

Well if the problem is rusting, move to tthe desert and never let the car see rain
Old 06-09-2003, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

TTT
Old 06-12-2003, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The paint on my hookers flaked off in about five minutes. Summit sells a Hi- Temp Silicone paint that has stood up well- still on there after 500+ miles. Only other problem I had was that the heater box caught on fire during a dyno run because one pipe on the hookers was right on the heater box. I am told by others who have installed hookers that this is not normal , and that the bend on mine must be out of spec. Ceramic coating may have prevented the fire, but it's not for sure. I had to cut a small section of the heater box and rivet in a piece of aluminum to cure the problem. If I had it to do again- I'd buy coated headers. My rule has always been to buy the best parts first 'cause I'll regret it later, and now I regret the uncoated headers. The engine compartment gets ungodly hot at an idle. Now I'm planning on sending mine out for coating.