Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Problem with TA Girdle Load Bolts and PHB Support- Pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Problem with TA Girdle Load Bolts and PHB Support- Pics

Hey everyone- I had a TA Girdle installed by a very reputable shop here in NY and for the longest time had a problem with this T/A Performance cover and the load bolts. The shop and I have suggested a few different ideas as to how to solve the problem but Im posting here to see if you guys have any feedback for me.
Ok, Heres my story...

What seems to be the issue is that one of the two load bolts (passenger) that thread into the center of cover is actually hitting the upper PHB support of my car infront of the fuel tank on dips in the road. I thought that the noise (a loud bang or pop from the rear or the car upon going into a dip or pulling into a driveway with a curb) might have been b/c of my UMI double rod ended PHB (more road noise on rod end vs. bushings) so inturn I took it off for now and put on the stock PHB to see if that was the case...wrong. So I jacked the car up and notice that above the PHB, infront of the fuel tank there is a gash the size of the bolt on the upper PHB support- Bingo- thats my issue. So, the two load bolts that are in the middle of the TA cover, one is almost flush with the outside of the cover, and the other (passenger side) sticks out almost an half inch or so, and this is the one that inturn is hitting the underside of my car causing the noise. The load bolt in the center of the cover doesn't appear to have backed out, nor I dont see how it could of as it made this noise from the day of install, only now its worse. I never found out what it was as I thought it had to do with the PHB and the extra road noise, etc. but its actually hitting my PHB upper support and carving/grinding out a section of the bar (maybe the reason why its louder now vs before when it just hit the support and bounced off). Its at the point right now where I dont feel like driving the car as fear of ripping off the whole cover on a bump and spilling oil all over the place along with my gears (which probably wont happen but still....)

The view of these pictures are from the passenger side looking towards the driverside. If you look at the cover itself, the closest bolt (passenger) is stuck out compared to the other one in the background of the picture (which is flush with the cover) Also, its hard to see, but if you look at the PHB support it actually has a gouge into it from the bolt grinding against it and the support bar is bent from contact with the bolt. I looked at the bolt today and its almost at the point where the ends are stripped from contact with the PHB suppport. Sorry for the blurry bottom two pics, but this should give the idea of what I'm talking about....

Everything was tight as it should be, so I loosened the nut and hand tightend that stud back in until it hit the carrier and then torque'd it down to spec according to the directions and its still the same as before, just maybe a little bit more tighter which probably isn't a good thing, so I'm back to square one.

Anyone have this issue before?? Or anyone have any ideas as to how I can solve this problem besides thowing the old shitty stock cover back on?? Thanks inadvance.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Hello from B-LO!

Hey can you just remove the bolt, cut it down some and reinstall? I don't know without it being in my hand but the end where it contacts the bearing cap on the carrier would probably be where I would cut it down at. Modify!!! That's what I would do. See ya on the streets!
Old 10-13-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well that has been discussed also with the shop. I kinda threw out the idea of just trimming the end of the bolt off for now so it wouldn't rub against the support b/c then the shop would have to order a new one from TA Performance and then removing the bolt would be a pain in the *** also, so I dunno. I might have to call TA Performance and see what could be the problem, but at the same time maybe leave that up to the shop that installed it to figure it out. They already said they'd take care of it for me in the spring before I even got into discussion about details, so a big to them.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Both bolts should be the same length....weird one sticks out more than other. Unless its not in all the way and they just torqued the jamnut. You take it in on a Friday? Just kiddin! Hopefully they fix it!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

Dont grind down the bolt,the bolt can only be removed by removing cover and tighten the bolt thru the cover.So if you cut or grind bolt you may damage the threads in the cover and risk the chance of getting the bolt stuck in the cover.Just remove the cover and see if the bolt is stuck in a bad thread of the cover. I am looking at a TA cover right now that I have not put on my car yet and it seems the bolts get stuck on slivers of the threads in the cover making it feel like it is tight....That bolt should be farther in if not even with other bolt.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you had one stud that was longer? I remeber, I noticed it on install, but I didnt see any problem at the time. I dont 100% remeber it being your car, (I should know under your car ) but it must have been now. The studs foot end, inside contacts the cap fine. I noted it, and rechecked it. But now that you came for the lowering springs its hitting now, with the car lower. I think TA just sent the wrong stud, its wasnt the normal lenght. So a correct one, like the other wil solve your problem. You probally talked to matt,or mike phone/emails. And they didn't know about the funny lenght stud. There still in memphis, this is a easy fix.

Quick Reply: Problem with TA Girdle Load Bolts and PHB Support- Pics