New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech - Y pipe

View Full Version : Y pipe

blackonblack02_Z
10-16-2007, 12:23 AM
So I have decided to buy a Y pipe for my 02 Z and had a couple of questions.

1. Do the o2 censors thread into the Y pipe?

2. Does any body have an LS1 car with an o/r Y pipe and a dynomax bullet in place of the stock muffler in the back? If so does it sound ok or is it kind of annoying?

WS6 Rampage
10-16-2007, 03:44 AM
It should have a bung for the rear O2s if you get one. I know SLP has a really good y-pipe.

blackonblack02_Z
10-16-2007, 03:46 AM
Where is the bung for the front o2's located? Are they not located in the Y pipe, or are they located in the manifolds?

WS6 Rampage
10-16-2007, 03:48 AM
Where is the bung for the front o2's located? Are they not located in the Y pipe, or are they located in the manifolds?

Nope,.. they're on the Cat canister pipe

blackonblack02_Z
10-16-2007, 03:50 AM
Nope,.. they're on the Cat canister pipe

???????? What exactly is the cat canister pipe? Let me just ask this, If I buy a Y pipe am I going to have to do anything special with the o2's other than having the rears turned off?

WS6 Rampage
10-16-2007, 03:55 AM
The Catalytic Converter is welded on both ends to piping, that connects it to both the piece of shit stock manifolds and the y-pipe. On the piece of piping between the Cat and the Manifold is the bung for the front O2s.

WS6 Rampage
10-16-2007, 03:56 AM
Why would you have to delete the rear 02s? !!

WS6 Rampage
10-16-2007, 03:57 AM
The only time you'd probably do that is when you run ORY with LT's.

WS6 Rampage
10-16-2007, 03:58 AM
Oops!,.. Just read what you wrote,.. sorry! So you are running an ORY.

WS6 Rampage
10-16-2007, 03:59 AM
Honestly tho,.. You should probably run that ORY with LT's! Ditch the Manifolds!

blackonblack02_Z
10-16-2007, 04:12 AM
Don't really have the money for the LT's right now........... Hopefully soon though! Thanks for the info but let me make sure I understand right quick. So your saying that there is a piece of pipe that bolts to the manifolds, then the cats bolt on to it, then the Y to it? Am I getting the jist?

WS6 Rampage
10-16-2007, 04:23 AM
The jist,.. yes...

Imagine your exhaust as 5 pieces...
1.) Manifolds or LTs
2.) Catalytic Convertes or Cat delete pipe
3.) Y-pipe
4.) I-pipe
5.) Mufler or reonator

The piece of piping that I was refering to is WELDED to each side of the stock Cat. THAT piping is what connects the Cat to the manifold on one end and and the other pipe tis what connects the Cat to the Y-pipe on the other. If you look under your car you'll understand. Basically,.. that piping thats welded to the Cat on each side is PART of the Cat. Especially since the pipe welded to the Cat thats between the cat and the Manifold has the bung for the front 02

blackonblack02_Z
10-16-2007, 04:45 AM
So the Y pipe will not actually delete the cats correct? So in all actuallity if I was just wanting to get rid of the cats I could unbolt the piece from the manifolds and the factory Y pipe, cut the cats off of it, and weld a new piece of pipe on. Or am I completely lost now! LOL

WS6 Rampage
10-16-2007, 04:55 AM
So the Y pipe will not actually delete the cats correct? So in all actuallity if I was just wanting to get rid of the cats I could unbolt the piece from the manifolds and the factory Y pipe, cut the cats off of it, and weld a new piece of pipe on. Or am I completely lost now! LOL

Correct,... but ,... Companies offer that piece of piping so you don't have to cut and weld on your own. And it isn't expansive at all! Oh,.. and make sure you get a tune done right away!

blackonblack02_Z
10-16-2007, 05:02 AM
What will happen if I do not get a tune done? When I did go to get it tuned afterwards what would they change in the tune to correct for the missing cats?

WS6 Rampage
10-16-2007, 04:01 PM
The tuner would have to delete it! Usually I've heard of cars running like ass when they remove the cats but don't get it tuned out.

Siwel
10-16-2007, 06:36 PM
What will happen if I do not get a tune done? When I did go to get it tuned afterwards what would they change in the tune to correct for the missing cats?

It'll run w/out getting a tune but yuo arent going to get the full gain from what you did. I dont know how common it is but after my Lt's/ORY/Borla my car ran rich as F@#$. I wasent done w/it yet so I just didnt drive it for a week.. Once I got an put on everything else I had in the making for it I had it tuned.

WS6 Rampage
10-16-2007, 07:53 PM
It'll run w/out getting a tune but yuo arent going to get the full gain from what you did. I dont know how common it is but after my Lt's/ORY/Borla my car ran rich as F@#$. I wasent done w/it yet so I just didnt drive it for a week.. Once I got an put on everything else I had in the making for it I had it tuned.

Interesting! I would of thought that you would have been running LAEN as fuck! Not RICH!!

Brads LS1 02Z
10-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Are u not gettting headers with it??? Not really wort it with out them...

Sunset'01Z
10-18-2007, 09:57 PM
yea you run rich with headers.

sixvi6-camaro
10-19-2007, 12:22 AM
replacing the stock Y pipe with stock manifolds is a waste of money.. you will gain only a couple hp if any at all and spend a lot of money that could have been used to get real LT's. Its only good if you want it to sound better but not much else.

hotrod7687
10-19-2007, 12:50 PM
So I have decided to buy a Y pipe for my 02 Z and had a couple of questions.

1. Do the o2 censors thread into the Y pipe?

2. Does any body have an LS1 car with an o/r Y pipe and a dynomax bullet in place of the stock muffler in the back? If so does it sound ok or is it kind of annoying?

I think everyones covered the other questions so ill tackle this one. the TSP rumbler cat back is exactly the system youre talking about. It puts a dynomax bullet in the I pipe just before the rear axle. It splits into 2 pipes again just over the axle to the stock tip location. I had one with stock manifolds and Y pipe, it sounded ok.

Heres a vid. Its not too good because its dark, but the sound is ok.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kHqg8TQCbY