Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

dome light frustration

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dome light frustration

Ok so I've been trying to get an LED light into the dome light for some time now. In my 97 Trans Am I had a LED light bar in there. I simply cut the factory connector and soldered it to the wires for the light bar, plugged it back into the harness and no problems. I snagged the light from the car after it was totaled and I got to take all my "personal" crap out of the car. So now I have a 2000 trans am, and I figured since it's pretty much the same harness for the interior that it should work. I plug the light into the harness and sparks fly, blow a fuse, ect. So I just re-install the factory dome light and let it go for a while. Then I just a 9 led festoon based bulb similar to the map lights. Same deal, sparks everywhere, blow another fuse, and I get a little shock. I don't know really where to go from here, it's really frustrating and annoying. When I was replacing the kick panel on the passenger side that was beat to hell from the previous owner I noticed a ton of aftermarket wiring for an alarm and maybe a system that was in the car before. You could def tell it was poorly done by some shop. Any one think this could possibly be the problem to the issue with my dome light? The LED light bar has resistors soldered in it already and is made for use in a 12V auto sytem.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone?