Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What is wrong with my car? please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation What is wrong with my car? please help

ok so i have a 2000 z28 6 speed. long story short i was coming home from work and all of the sudden my car grinds when i shift into 5th. so i pull over to see wats wrong. as i try to go the car wont go nowhere and makes a horrible loud grinding sound as try to go. the noise sounds like its coming from the transmission. i now have trans out the car and i sent it to some transmission guy. he told me today that he opened it up and said that everything looks ok. he said there was wear and tear on the trans but nothing thats gonna stop me from going. i am gonna have the trans rebuild anyway b/c he said it was a good idea and that its been abused. minus well... but now i have no idea whats wrong with the car.. the tranny guy told me that i blew my rear and that all i need is a new ring and pinion.. but that does not make sense cuz the noise is not coming from the rear.. he told me to put the car on a lift and spin the tires and the rear will make the noise.. but that does not make sense b/c when we pushed the car into my work the tires wear spinning and there was no noise at all.. it cant be the rear.. so if its not the rear not the trans.. then what is it? my stock clutch has about 10,000 miles left on it and was looked at and looked fine..by the way the car did the grinding noise in every gear except reverse.. do u think the trans guy overlooked something? is it my rear? any advice will be helpfull thank you.. sorry for the long post haha
Old 10-16-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Does it act all screwed up in every gear or just fifth? Does it screw up during shifting only? Can you get the car into gears? Need a bit more info.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by brad8266
Does it act all screwed up in every gear or just fifth? Does it screw up during shifting only? Can you get the car into gears? Need a bit more info.
the car wont go anywhere now..once i stoped the car and tryed to go it wont go nowhere.. if u put it in first gear it makes the grinding noise and wont go anywhere.. also in 2nd..3rd ..and 4th.. if im stationary i can shift into every gear fine..as soon as i put it into gear and go it wont go anywhere and grinds..the car will just not move past a few feet
Old 10-16-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

How does the clutch feel? Sounds like the rear or the trans is busted, and since it does it in every gear I wouls guess the rear is screwed. Kinda rare to destroy every gear in the trans at once.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

the clutch feels fine.. just like normal.. like i said b4 the guy thinks its the ring and pinion
Old 10-17-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wow. that is very odd. itd have to be somewhere in the tailhousing, or at least past all the syncros, i have never heard of anyone destroying all the gears in one sitting. the ring and pinion story would make sense if it made noise, have you put the driveshaft back in the rear and spun it from there?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlexVette505
ok so i have a 2000 z28 6 speed. long story short i was coming home from work and all of the sudden my car grinds when i shift into 5th. so i pull over to see wats wrong. as i try to go the car wont go nowhere and makes a horrible loud grinding sound as try to go. the noise sounds like its coming from the transmission. i now have trans out the car and i sent it to some transmission guy. he told me today that he opened it up and said that everything looks ok. he said there was wear and tear on the trans but nothing thats gonna stop me from going. i am gonna have the trans rebuild anyway b/c he said it was a good idea and that its been abused. minus well... but now i have no idea whats wrong with the car.. the tranny guy told me that i blew my rear and that all i need is a new ring and pinion.. but that does not make sense cuz the noise is not coming from the rear.. he told me to put the car on a lift and spin the tires and the rear will make the noise.. but that does not make sense b/c when we pushed the car into my work the tires wear spinning and there was no noise at all.. it cant be the rear.. so if its not the rear not the trans.. then what is it? my stock clutch has about 10,000 miles left on it and was looked at and looked fine..by the way the car did the grinding noise in every gear except reverse.. do u think the trans guy overlooked something? is it my rear? any advice will be helpfull thank you.. sorry for the long post haha
funy thing, my tranny has started to grind into 5th too. I think my master cylinder is getting weak and am going to replace that but I too have that problem. But that is it. About your other issue, it migh me the rear end if you are not going anywhere but are able to shift through the gears fine and you hear nothing bad coming from the tranny.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm with the tranny guy on this one, if you weren't abusing and it fucked itself when you shifted into 5th that sounds like typical 10-bolt blues to me. i've heard this more than once, sometimes it doesnt even require a shock load (cluch dump, burn out) to shatter those things, years of absue pile up and then they break when your just rolling down the high way. what makes me think it's your rear even more is because it happened when you shifted AND because it doesnt make noise in reverse. think about it...the only thing that's really different about moving backwards instead of forwards is the way the tires are spinning, and it was any problem with the output or tail shaft it would make that noise whenever the shaft was moving. but reversing a set of synchromesh gears (the rear) can change a lot of things, especially if its broken, thus concealing the sound. also, just pushing the car doesnt really put the rear under load, the motivating force is coming from the body of the car and moving the wheels, not the other way arounds...even if the rear was toast, pushing the car wouldnt make any noise because all the wheels have to do is turn on the bearings. on the other hand, if the rear was fried and you tried to drive (say the ring or pinion is stripped), it would make a grinding noise as the two pieces of metal scrapped over eachother and you would move a foot or two and then stop.

based on this post it just seems more likely to me that it's your rear and not your trans...could be wrong, but it wouldnt hurt to jack the car up and spin the rear to see if it is indeed fragged or not.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

a bit of an update.. the diff was looked at and everything is fine. gears and everthing looks good..so its not the rear
Old 10-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Install Director

Originally Posted by AlexVette505
a bit of an update.. the diff was looked at and everything is fine. gears and everthing looks good..so its not the rear
Does Reverse, 5th and 6th gears work at all?

Putting it in gear and getting that grinding sound is exactly what it sounds like when you loose 3rd to a bent fork or busted synchro. At least what I experienced a week ago.

I would say get a second opinion on the transmission.

Quick Reply: What is wrong with my car? please help