Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny or rear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny or rear?

When Im driving down the road and let off the gas the car starts bucking. I know its not the engine cause I can hear that fine. The rear whines alot(not sure if its from the new gears) but when its doing the bucking motion the rear end whine goes in and out. Could it be something with the tranny causing it or rearend? I was thinking maybe the adj. Torque arm wasnt set right so its causing it.
Bryan
Old 10-17-2007, 01:07 PM
10 Second Club

In an A4 .. torque converter lock-up values can cause it ... which can be corrected with tuning.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you retune speedo, shift points, and lockup after the gears?

If you slightly tap the brakes does the bucking stop? (just enough to kick the brake lights on)

it's probably the converter lockup. You might have to either retune the car for the gear change, or bump up the lockup table. 1st let us know if it goes away with the brake.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Oh and if you're concerned about the TA arm and rear noise, check the pinion angle, I run mine at -2, but if you get noise bring it up to -1 to -1.5, it might help if the pinion is really digging in.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the quick responses. Its does go away when I tap the braked or if I get on it. The car was tuned but I noticed the Speedo was a little off. Shifts at 6800 or 6900 I beleive. I bought the car with everything done to it.

Is -2 on the torque arm a good spot for a lowered car(bmr springs)
Old 10-17-2007, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01SOMm6
Thanks for the quick responses. Its does go away when I tap the braked or if I get on it. The car was tuned but I noticed the Speedo was a little off. Shifts at 6800 or 6900 I beleive. I bought the car with everything done to it.

Is -2 on the torque arm a good spot for a lowered car(bmr springs)
If teh speedo is off it will mess with you shift points and lockup.

My advice is to get another tune to fix the speedo 1st, then raise lockup a touch if you have too.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SOMm6
When Im driving down the road and let off the gas the car starts bucking. I know its not the engine cause I can hear that fine. The rear whines alot(not sure if its from the new gears) but when its doing the bucking motion the rear end whine goes in and out. Could it be something with the tranny causing it or rearend? I was thinking maybe the adj. Torque arm wasnt set right so its causing it.
Bryan
It makes sense that this is a converter that is staying locked up. But I want to make sure.... At what speeds does this occur? And is it during a long decel, or maybe is speed /rpm dependant?

Do you know the specs on your camshaft?

Has it always done this? The reason for all the questions is it is important to rule out the possibility of a mechanical or electrical failure in the transmission.

g
Old 10-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Launching!

I have the stealth II Camshaft I think its 224 220 .581 .581 116lsa.
Im not sure if its always done this. I bought the car in july on leave then got shipped to iraq so cant really tell you to much. Im goin home in two weeks and want to fix it.

I would say its rpm/speed dependant but when I get on it theres no problems other than hitting the rev limiter once or twice.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I 'll tell you what. When you get back into the groove and make time for it let me know, I'll walk you through some tests... easy stuff that will help us pin it down.

I am converned about the rev limiter comments... these trannies do not live well in that environment. I would believe from this little discussion that you need some tuning. But let's make sure there is not anything else going on before yuou move into that.

Oh, thanks for your service! Good Luck and get back safe.

g