Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starts great cold, but struggles to start/find idle when hot

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Starts great cold, but struggles to start/find idle when hot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wondering what the problem could be with my car (cammed & stalled-specs in sig). I had it tuned back in August by MTI and it ran great for a couple weeks, then i started having problems with the car starting if its hot.. It also will die in reverse after it starts like this...The car will start, but i have to give it gas and keep it at 1k till it finds idle. When i have to start it like this the car will often surge like a mother and die on me if i have to stop.

It has NEVER failed me on a cold start, and always fires right up finds the idle immediately. Couple weeks ago i replaced my battery, i got an optima. After i put that it the whole problem dissapeared for a whole week! And now its back to where i started.

Any ideas on what could be going on? I tried to describe what is going on as clear as i could...so let me know if i need to clarify anything. If its a problem with the tune, i know MTI will fix me up so hopefully thats whats goin on. Thank you for the help guys!
Old 10-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Is CEL on?If not,sounds like it's in the tune.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

nope, the SES light is not on.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like its def trying to find an idle. sounds like a tune issue to me as well. might be running fine in open loop but not in closed.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

I'm thinking 02 sensors.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the feedback so far guys!
Old 10-18-2007, 06:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Idle air stuck. Bad negative cable or attach points. Loose ground.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe I got you covered on this on because I had this problem one time. Your MAF needs cleaning. So what you do is go down to the NAPA store and buy a can of MAF Cleaner. Its either made by CNC or CRC or something like that but its like the NAPA Store Brand and cost a whopping $5.00 or so. And now the good part. Just loosen the clamp on the inlet hose of the Throttle Body and unlatch your air lid and take everything off as one section. You don't need to remove the MAF by itself because you should be able to see sensor wires inside it from the back. And just let it hold it. You can't mess anything up just spray the hell out of it. I can get to both sides on mine MAF because its descreened but I'm sure you should be able to clean it fine just from the back. Just stay back an inch or so from the sensor wires and use the little plastic straw extention. After you clean it just prop it up somewhere and the remaining cleaner will evaporate in no time. Put it back on the same way it came off. You should only have the MAF wires to plug back in because I believe by 2002 the IAT was made part of the MAF. And that ought to cure your problems.. you gotta take it easy on reoiling the air filter oil when you clean it!!! See if this doesn't fix you up!!

Last edited by NC98Z; 10-18-2007 at 01:32 PM. Reason: add