Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny question?

I am new to the whole LS engine thing, I have always been a old school kid I guess and went with carb. For my build so far I am going to get a 6.0L Vortec Engine and use the stock crank, whipple supercharger, stock heads ported & polished with a 3 angle valve job, 80mm throttle body, 60lb injectors, ls6 intake, hi flow oil pump, and fuel pump, camshaft with 242/250 @ 50 Duration 114 degree lobe seperation, H beam rods and .030 over pistons. My question is what kind of horsepower to the rear wheels do you think I will develop with a build of this nature? What kind of transmission am I going to want to build to handle that power? I wanted to go 6 speed but after doing some looking around that is definentley not an option. It will be out of my budget!
Old 10-20-2007, 11:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your engine builder would be better suited to estimate the H/P of that mill than myself.

But, without having an idea of the amount of boost psi you are looking for it is hard to say. I would estimate somewhere around 500 - 550 rwhp.

What is the primary intended use of this vehicle?

What is all of this hardware going into? I'll presume an F-Body..... and then say a well built overdrive is going to be my recomendation. The 4L60E is not going to be overpowered, and would be applicable ifor that engine.But more needs to be known about this combination in order to determine which upgrades are necessary. A 4L80E is an overdrive unit that is the big brother to the 4L60E, it is an overdrive that is based on the old TH400 which you are familiar with I am sure. Either unit will need to be computer controlled if not converter to a manual valve body.

Each unit has advantages and disadvantages.

g
Old 10-20-2007, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny

Well I am buying the supercharger from a friend! Its a whipple and he says that it runs @ about 10psi Also he says it wil but I do not see how it is going to clear. Does anybody know if a whipple will fit a 6.0 under a 98-02 camaro?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zach5187
I wanted to go 6 speed but after doing some looking around that is definentley not an option. It will be out of my budget!
A good A4 that can handle that kind of power is going to be just as expensive if not more. I would think a 4L80E is what you want and with a converter you're looking at a hefty chunk of $$$$.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:18 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zach5187
Ok so i just got on ebay and looked up corvette transmission will a c5 or c6 work and be able to hold up to the power?
The corvette trans will not work unless you decide to use the complete drive line. Which would be a major conversion. It would be best for you get a unit from FLT or ACE that will definitely be correct for your application. Try giving us a call. I'm sure that you will happy with either of us and what we have to say. Vince
Old 10-21-2007, 12:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no idea if the package you are building will fit in the car you want it in. Tell you what, it sounds to me like you are a few months away from driving this vehicle. Why don't you give me a call or give Vince a call. The reason is we both have real world, on the line been there done that wrenching experience... both in custom shops and in production environments. You need someone who is a bit more seasoned than yourself to help you plan this build.

I am pretty sure when it is finished it will be a whole bunch of fun! But, let's do it right the 1st time and you'll be better off in the long run. Give us a call.

g