Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Air Fuel Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air Fuel Confusion

As some of you know, my STS "build" is now underway...they guy helping us do it(we pretty much stand around and hand him ****)says that he son told him we couldn't use the air fuel guage correctly. His son is a turbo diesel mechanic, that being said, we listen to him...but I know that most(if not all)of you run an AF wideband on your STS LS1.

The reason he says it can't be used correctly is because the book says the sensor should be put 24 inches away from the engine, but before the cat...and he says there is no place before the cat to put it.

Pictures, guidance, ANYTHING, please(pictures work best)!

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Closed Sponsor Account

just anywhere before the cat is fine. mine is after my front mount turbo about 4 feet in total from the engine and it works fine. also on an sts the last thing u need is cats, talk about slow spool up time
Old 10-21-2007, 12:27 AM
FormerVendor

For long term use for the wideband it is recommended not to have it in a high backpressure area, this will shorten the life of the sensor.

We have seen with the sensor after the turbo it is a tad bit lean compared to a standard mounted 02.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I mounted mine about 8" after my rear mount turbo. When I was on the dyno we removed a rear 02 sensor and hooked up the dynos wideband. The difference between the two sensors was .2-.3 lean for My wideband commander. Aslo we ran an AEM wideband in the tail pipe and its readings where about the same as my rear wide band. Lastly I've been running mine for over two years and its driven everyday.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And if there's currently no mounting hole where you need it, drill one and weld on a simple bung for the O2 sensor. The bungs are readily available.

Jim
Old 10-21-2007, 01:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I work with a bunch of diesel techs... im an apprentice. And honestly, im not too impressed with diesel techs. They "know" what they are talking about but you have to realize they do not think out of the box. They always do everything to the "t" from the book and that is the only "right" way to go about it, otherwise it just won't work.

That is good in the sence that they will always do their job exactly the way it needs to be done, but bad because it takes out their problem solving ability and they just tend to rely on the "book" to tell them everything
Old 10-22-2007, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Does it mean before the cats from the back of the car(closer to the turbo), or before the cats from the front of the car(closer to the intercooler)?

Thanks for clearing this up for me. First time ever even thinking about forced induction and I'm trying to get everything straight as can be.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have my wideband installed in the y-pipe where one of the rear o2 sensors would be. no problems. acurate readings.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have mine in the y-pipe right where both sides come together. It reads accurately, but it's not a good place to put it. When I launch the car hard, the y-pipe shifts enough that the O2 sensor hits the driveshaft loop, and damages it. On O2 sensor #2 so far, and this one is starting to act up now too.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

The autometer wideband says put a foot away from turbo to be the most acurate.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

I mounted mine about 8" after my rear mount turbo
I would do this, that's what most of the sts guys do.

Quick Reply: Air Fuel Confusion