View Full Version : Questions concerning Replacing LS7 Crank Wheel

Gary Z
10-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Will an LS7ís balance remain within GM specifications when the crankshaft reluctor wheel is replaced with a 24x wheel? Is replacing the reluctor wheel a job that most engine shops can handle or should I send my crank to Katech?

98blackSS
10-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Will an LS7ís balance remain within GM specifications when the crankshaft reluctor wheel is replaced with a 24x wheel? Is replacing the reluctor wheel a job that most engine shops can handle or should I send my crank to Katech?

I've done it because of the particular application, and more importantly, because nothing was out at the time tuning wise. But today I wouldn't bother. What's the reason for the swap?

Gary Z
10-22-2007, 08:03 PM
What's the reason for the swap?I'm considering putting an LS7 in my Camaro. I want on the "Quickest Stock Internals" list.:jest:

See5
10-23-2007, 07:31 AM
It is a job that should be done with a special tool to assure proper alignment.
Not at all difficult, if the technique is proper.

Jason99T/A
10-23-2007, 09:24 AM
You definitely need the correct tool. Here it the one from Goodson:

http://www.goodson.com/store/template/product_detail.php?IID=4147

With the proper tool, it doesn't take too long to get the old one off an the new one.

Jason

Gary Z
10-23-2007, 12:23 PM
My questions arose because I have seen pictures showing the reluctor welded in place. I now gather that GM does not do this. The issue will probably be moot because I'm leaning toward a custom LS7 shortblock. Thanks for the responses.

-Gary