Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

550-650whp w/logs&twins... What turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 550-650whp w/logs&twins... What turbos?

right now im running a patriot heads/SI5 cam LS2 i am debating on building a log style setup for the car and doing twins but i am trying to figure out about what size turbo's i should be looking for.

i see external wastegates are very popular but is it ok to run internal wastegated turbos? which woudl be better for my application?

my goal is to get about 550-650whp

i am trying to do a budget build i saw OBX is making turbos(can find them on ebay) they are cheap but i dont know how good the quality is. was thinking about giving them a shot.

also keep in mind this is a 6-speed car about 2650lbs.(vega GT)
Old 10-23-2007, 07:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nobody likes ebay turbos, as they dont last long, like less then 100miles, they are junk.
the internal wastegates will work, but not be as efficient.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

i have two very nice Garrett turbos that came off a low mileage twin turbo setup if you are interested. They're true garrett turbos and they will work very well on any twin turbo LS1, and especially in your car since you probably have more room to play with than us camaro/firebird guys, PM me for more info i will let them go cheap considering i only ran them a few hundred miles..
Old 10-23-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

and yes like smokin said, stay away fom ebay junk you will regret it very much
Old 10-24-2007, 05:08 AM
12 Second Club

Hey fenix send me some pics and specs on the turbo's you have Turbosdabomb@yahoo.com
Old 10-24-2007, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know everyone bashes the ebay junk. But the clean up kid at the shop has had an ebay turbo on his Eclipse for over a year. Granted it's a smaller one, but it's lasted over a year. I've asked him numerous times if he's ever had any problems with his, and get a "nope" every time.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snketr
I know everyone bashes the ebay junk. But the clean up kid at the shop has had an ebay turbo on his Eclipse for over a year. Granted it's a smaller one, but it's lasted over a year. I've asked him numerous times if he's ever had any problems with his, and get a "nope" every time.
Was it the type with the epoxy holding the compressor housing together, or was it legitimately bolted together? What kind of turbo was it exactly and was it an xs power or ss autochrome turbo? I bought a small t3 just to see what it looked like and turned around and sold it for more... I would've made a business out of doing that except there is no way I'd want my name associated with that ****. Hit me up man, just out of curiousity, I'd like to know what turbo, and what seller it was. Thanks buddy.

Tony
Old 10-25-2007, 05:48 AM
12 Second Club

well for just over $1000 i can get 2 OBX turbos and 2 38mm wastegates i almost think its worth trying. probably put a few high strength screens inline with the intercooler piping just in case anything comes apart j/k
Old 10-25-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 67Firebird455
Was it the type with the epoxy holding the compressor housing together, or was it legitimately bolted together? What kind of turbo was it exactly and was it an xs power or ss autochrome turbo? I bought a small t3 just to see what it looked like and turned around and sold it for more... I would've made a business out of doing that except there is no way I'd want my name associated with that ****. Hit me up man, just out of curiousity, I'd like to know what turbo, and what seller it was. Thanks buddy.

Tony
It was the XS power one. It was bolted together.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:55 AM
12 Second Club

so does anyone know about what size twins i should be looking for?
Old 10-29-2007, 08:52 AM
12 Second Club

fwiw-theres a local honda guy making around 350rwhp with an ebau t3/t4. its been running for about 5 months now. not sure how many miles or what ever, but one of those guys who just modded the beater to see what i t would do. not too shabby, but he knows the turbo wont last. i would highly recommend getting a quality set of turbos though. unless you can get the ebay turbos in 6packs and your planning on selling the car in a few months
Old 10-29-2007, 08:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen a few "ricers" around here run em' and me on my winter beater. Never had a trouble.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

I have done the exact project that you are talking about doing. I would advise you to just buy yourself the aussi made kit and save yourself a few hundred hours and about a grand.

I used garret T3/T4 turbochargers.....i got mine from blaastperfomance.com...they were rebuilds but work just as good as new. a pair will cost you around a grand i think. make sure you get the T04B compressor housing because they are the only ones that will fit good with the stock K member....I would get yourself a tubular K memeber to make some room for the turbos and it would be allot easier to fab a system up. mount the turbos as high as you can so they drain the oil back to the pan.

as for the manifolds....stay away from stainless steel because they will crack in a log style setup. use mild steel and have them jet hot coated. use 2 1/2" tubing for the main tube and 1 5/8 or 1 3/4 for the primary tubes.

make the down pipes out of 321 stainless or jet hot coated mild steel. I went with stainless and it turned out nice.

I am making 600HP with my system...its on a daily driver car and have put 20,000 miles on it with zero turbo system problems.....the problem i have is with clutches.

This might be a very good winter project for you but i will tell you Its a TON or work to make a good working system. You will need a tig welder to do all the manifolds and downpipes because of the small spaces that a mig gun will just not fit in.

WISH YOU LUCK!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2007, 11:33 PM
12 Second Club

Camarogod- you have to remember this is not in a f-body. also ill check out the site you listed, 1k doesnt sound too bad.

hopefully i wont have to worry about clutches or any drivetrain parts. i have a spec stage 3+ T56rebuilds.com rebuild, 12 bolt rear. i just need the power now.

basically im trying to find out what size turbo's i need and what size wastegate would be good.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fenix999
and yes like smokin said, stay away fom ebay junk you will regret it very much
What about the Ebay fmic 4'' thick 3'' inlet/outlet?
Old 11-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

I've been running an ebay FMIC as described for a while and I am pleased with it. My charge pipes before it get pretty hot after a few pulls with the P1sc but the pipes after are cold to the touch and my carb hat is positively chilly.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Their is alot of ebay turbos we have had come through the shop. They make great paper weights and good for target practice.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

back to this topic. where i can i get the right diameter short bends for the turbo manifold? i know i can get some stuff at local stores but i think it only comes in 1 1/2''?

Quick Reply: 550-650whp w/logs&twins... What turbos?