Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Not getting FM stations

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not getting FM stations

I have a '96 Z28 with the stock BOSE CD Player/Stereo. I got in the car a few days ago, turned on the radio and all of my FM stations we're coming in, but with a lot of static. I'm wondering if the antenna plug came out from behind the radio or if there is a bad connection somewhere else? Just wondering if anyone else has/had this problem. I don't wanna go diggin around and mess up the DELCO theft lock. Thanks for any help!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are only two conections in this car that would affect the reception. The first one is in the rear right side quarter panel, where the antenna is mounted (above the spare tire) and then in the back of the radio. If both of these connections look fine, (if you have a meter you should check continuity) then it is the tuner or the antenna itself. A good way to test this is to pull the radio, but leave it plugged in and get a "test antenna" (a manual antenna with GM antenna plug on it) and plug it in and see if the reception clears up. Also, check to make sure that the antenna is secure because contact with the body is crucial. If all this checks out, then it is the tuner pack inside the radio itself... this is a common problem in all radios and it easiest to get a refurb.