Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deeper Trans Pan on Stock Trans at 80k, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Deeper Trans Pan on Stock Trans at 80k, worth it?

Hey guys,
I am in need of a trans flush, the car hasn't had one in a while. While its getting done, I am definately getting a trans cooler installed. However, is it worth shelling out $200 for a deeper trans pan for extra cooling capacity seeing as the trans already has a decent amount of miles on it? I could see getting one for a new transmission, but now much more could the deep trans pan extend the life with the help of a trans cooler? I would only do this if it extended my trans' life for like 40k or more, but whose to say? I know there is no straight answer for this, just wanted your thoughts. Mike.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

It certainly will not hurt a thing in the world to install that deep pan right now. Be sure to replace the filter when you flush it!

As far as a deeper pan extending the life of a unit... there really is no was to judge that. Obviously as we all know heat is the #1 killer of automatics, that's whay I say it cannot hurt. But, I think it would be optimistic to say it would extend the transmissions' life.

g
Old 10-25-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A while back, seems like the big advantage everyone was talking about with a deeper pan, was it's better at keeping the pickup covered in fluid on hard launches.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats right, that is an inherent advantage to a deep pan.

g