Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can an LS2 be run with a 200 4r ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Can an LS2 be run with a 200 4r ?

Hey guys,

I looked around a bit, and couldn't find this addressed anywhere. Sorry if it was and I missed it. As you can see, I'm definitely new at the LS game.

Anyways, I have a 66 nova project car. I would love to put an LS2 in it, but the way my budget is, that won't be possible anytime soon. So I was thinking that I could just buy a stocker small block (350 or 400) for now, and mate it to a 200 4r trans.

But what I don't know, is if I update to the LS2 motor someday, will it work with that 200 4r?

Would I need the 4L60E? If I would need it, I have not seen where I can order a built 4L60E with the right type of speedo setup to work with my stock 66 gauges?

To be honest with you, I DO NOT understand much yet about the LS based motors (PCM, MAF, all that stuff), and I honestly get a headache when I try to read some of this stuff and catch on. I think I'm reading the wrong threads for my knowledge level. So.... any pointers on this would be VERY much appreciated as to where I should start.

I REALLY want to use an LS engine. There's just something that is so cool about seeing one of these under the hood of an old car. I'm trying to catch on and learn as much as I can, but its going sort of rough right now.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2007, 10:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 66 BADBOY

But what I don't know, is if I update to the LS2 motor someday, will it work with that 200 4r?

Would I need the 4L60E? If I would need it, I have not seen where I can order a built 4L60E with the right type of speedo setup to work with my stock 66 gauges?

Thanks
There are a few guys running 200 4r's behind LSx engines that I know of. The problem is, they can be darn near prohibitively expensive. That transmission is a light duty unit that has to have several expensive upgrades if it is going to be expected to survive for any time.

As far as a 4L60E... we have installed a few retrofitted units, worked on many retro fitted models and I think it would be a cool addition to your car.

Problem here is, it is a computer controlled transmission. About the least expensive route would be to take it full manual, meaning it would only need a torque converter lock up signal instead of a wiring harness and stand alone controller. As far as the speedometer... I do have a supplier locally who manufactures extension housings for retro fitted electronically controlled transmissions where the original speedometer is used.

If you would like to know more just give me a call! I am sure we could solve your transmission dilemna by educating you regarding with your options and help you make the best choice!

g
Old 10-27-2007, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would go turbo 400
Old 10-27-2007, 01:31 AM
Tech Resident

I would probably go TH350 in this case. I wouldn't bother with a TH400 unless I was pushing something like 1000 rwhp. A TH350 can be built to take just about anything. I know of a guy who has a carbed 40x going through a built TH350. All a TH400 is is added weight and more parasitic loss.

Yea, 3 speeds suck and all, but if money isn't an issue, there's always a TH350 + Gear Vendor's overdrive. That would be cool.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
There are a few guys running 200 4r's behind LSx engines that I know of. The problem is, they can be darn near prohibitively expensive. That transmission is a light duty unit that has to have several expensive upgrades if it is going to be expected to survive for any time.

As far as a 4L60E... we have installed a few retrofitted units, worked on many retro fitted models and I think it would be a cool addition to your car.

Problem here is, it is a computer controlled transmission. About the least expensive route would be to take it full manual, meaning it would only need a torque converter lock up signal instead of a wiring harness and stand alone controller. As far as the speedometer... I do have a supplier locally who manufactures extension housings for retro fitted electronically controlled transmissions where the original speedometer is used.

If you would like to know more just give me a call! I am sure we could solve your transmission dilemna by educating you regarding with your options and help you make the best choice!

g
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I'll be giving you a call. I've been busy reading up on LS engines a lot lately, and I think I might as well just jump in to the LS game from the start, and save myself the headaches of maintaining an SBC and upgrading later. Might as well just get an LS now. Not sure if it will be an LS1 or LS2, but we'll see.

Talk to you soon!!