Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

new system for the T/A**PICS**

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 01:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new system for the T/A**PICS**

New system includes Sony CDX-GT81UW HU and a MTX Thunder 81001 amp running 2 Power Acoustik STW-12 subs mounted in a sealed botx with maybe .75 ft3 air space at most. To be honest I never had either a Sony HU or Power Acoustik subs, so I don't know what to expect there. I only got the subs because they have dual 4-ohm voice coils and are shallow mount. And I usually run Alpine HU's but they didn't have an affordable one with 4-volt preouts. Plus I like the features on the Sony and it has a higher signal-to-noise ratio of any Alpine I ever had. Any feedback? Are my subs crap? (they were cheap BTW) What kind of enclosures is everyone here running in your F-bods? The box I have fits perfectly and looks good but it's too friggin tiny.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:21 AM
TECH Regular

Old 10-27-2007, 01:51 AM
Staging Lane

looks nice.!
Old 10-27-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those subs are not the most "prestigious" brand out there, but unless you're a real audiophile, or into serious SPL competition, they should get the job done.

i'm using a cheap-*** $30 10" sub right now, and it isn't the greatest, but it gets the job done for now....and if it blows up, who cares? it was only $30

when i upgrade, tho, i'm probably gonna get the JL Audio 10" stealthbox....it's engineered to just be a plug-n-play application, so just hook it up to a competent amp and get to jammin'. one of the main reasons i'm wanting to go this route is because i want to regain my rear storage area.....the box i have now is a small box that i built myself....it is a low-profile box that spans the bottom of the rear hatch area, where the t-tops would go (if i had a t-top car instead of hard top). but being a daily driver car, it would be more beneficial to me if i still had use of that area, for when i go grocery shopping & stuff....
Old 10-27-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Groceries can fit in the back seat, I've been doing it for years
Old 10-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Banned

IMO it is only crap if it sounds like crap to you. I actually like alot of the features the Sony's have like the front usb port and the aux in on the face as well. For someone who likes plug and play it's very convenient.
How do YOU like it?? I think you did a good job for a budget type system. Does it sound the way you want it to? The bottom line is you have to be the one that listens to it so that's who you should be worried about.
Subthump makes a nice well enclosure that takes up the whole space back there and gives sufficient airspace volume.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 95bat
Groceries can fit in the back seat, I've been doing it for years
hehe, then you don't really actually go buy groceries....you go buy a few things at a time.

when i finally get around to buying groceries, i fill the car UP!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the replies. I got everything hooked up over the weekend and it sounds very good. The Sony sounds great and I love features on it. It is also very easy to tune. The MTX amp is a beast. That thing rocks the hell outta these subs. The subs I like so far. The bass response is tight and they actually get pretty low which I'm kinda surprised of because of the box I'm running.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

From the picture the box looks pretty big and those subs look similar to the pioneer slim subs. I know if you give the Pioneers too much air space they won't sound as good. I don't know the specs on your subs but I've seen the Pioneers in a box that was very small and took up just a little bit of space in the hatch.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:50 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

looks nice brocrank it up!