Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LuK Clutches... Anyone familiar with them?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LuK Clutches... Anyone familiar with them?

Ok, I have been doing a lot of research on what new clutch to buy for my 95 LT1 Z28 Camaro. The car is pretty low milage (56,xxx) and I want to do upgrades to make it around a 400HP car, maybe a little more. I don't want to go much more than that because I don't think I will be racing it much, and I want to keep it a daily driver. That in mind, I started looking around at clutches. While I have heard good things about the Spec, I have heard a lot of bad things as well. B&M and Ramforce are an option as well.
The base auto hobby shop (the do it yourself place with lifts, ect) is getting kind of expensive, and I was thinking about taking it somewhere. I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about LuK clutches. One of the shops I looked at that has a good reputation uses them and offers one year parts and service on it. I have searched all over the internet and am not having any luck finding anything on it. Please tell me someone has heard of them, or better yet has one.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

ok, I just looked a little closer and it looks like Luk is probably a solid clutch, but is it worth it to put it in if they are pretty much the ones who are already making the clutches? Keep in mind I have an LT1 and I don't think they make the progold for my car. If this is the case, does anyone have any suggestions on what might be a better choice for me considering what I wrote in my first post about how I want to drive?
Old 10-28-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luk makes the factory GM clutches, they'll be fine to handle 400hp in most cases assuming you're not making an obscene amount of torque.

For low cost alternatives, look at centerforce. High end look at Textralia.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

ok, I am not looking to cut costs on this. If I am going to put one in, I want it to last a while, and I do not want a lot of problems with it. My thought is that if I am going to put in a new clutch, it might as well be an upgrade. I was eventually going to put in an upgraded clutch, now I just have to put it in a lot sooner than I thought. Is a Luk clutch an upgrade, or is there a good chance that I am putting the exact same kind of clutch I had in there before? Or can I just adjust the Luk one to make it work a little better?
Now I have done a bit of research, and I am hearing that Tex seems to be one of the best. What do they usually run? Are Tex and Luk about equal quality?
Old 10-28-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

tex and Luk are like night and day when it comes to ability to take abuse. The Luk is designed for a stock car that isnt seeing much racing whereas the Tex is designed to take a lot of power and abuse.

Im not even sure if tex makes a clutch for the LT1.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

if tex doesn't make a clutch for the LT1, do you have any suggestions on who does? Not looking to build my LT1 up much past 400 HP, but I would like to be able to abuse it on the rare chance I take it to the track or just when I'm feeling froggy...
Old 10-29-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

no suggestions?
Old 10-29-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Veteran

textralia sadly doesnt make a clutch for us. im waiting for it though.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

Anyone else put a Luk in thier car?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lt1 hawk
Anyone else put a Luk in thier car?

I had one a while back, its just a OEM replacement, aka stock clutch.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have the progold and aluminum flywheel in my car. been in there for over 20k miles and two years of very "spirited" driving on the street and occasional romp at the track. go to the link on my sig for my mods. i love this clutch and never had any problems or slippage yet, knock on wood. they do have a website ive seen it, ill try to pull it up for ya
Old 10-31-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

here ya go http://http://www.lukclutch.com/products/progold.phtml
Old 11-01-2007, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike44138
Luk makes the factory GM clutches
Do they? I've always heard Valeo makes them, or do they just manufacture the lining/friction material for Luk??
Old 11-01-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Do they? I've always heard Valeo makes them, or do they just manufacture the lining/friction material for Luk??
Luk is just another cookie cutter LT1 clutch set that is intended for stock or near stock f-bodies. They all use the Valeo pressure plate. This is NOT a high perfromance clutch. You can expect the same holding power and engagement you had when the car was new.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by westxwitesnake05
i have the progold and aluminum flywheel in my car. been in there for over 20k miles and two years of very "spirited" driving on the street and occasional romp at the track. go to the link on my sig for my mods. i love this clutch and never had any problems or slippage yet, knock on wood. they do have a website ive seen it, ill try to pull it up for ya
Im in the same boat with this guy, this is in my 550+rwhp vette

Quick Reply: LuK Clutches... Anyone familiar with them?