Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Someone finally explain "powershifting" to me...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Someone finally explain "powershifting" to me...

I thought I knew what "powershifting" is but every ***-hat I talk to seems to have a different take on it.

If you look on youtube at just about every vid of someone so-called "powershifting", it sounds no different to me than when I just shift like a maniac.

I was under the impression that powershifting meant your right foot never leaves the floor between shifts. Am I worng?

Every vid I've seen on youtube so far was BS except for this one with a guy powershifting a 5.0. You can hear the way all the cars are taching up and there's not even the slightest rev spike when they shift, which means they let off. That isn't powershifting(if I understand it correctly).

'splain dis to me Lucy.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My understanding, the gas pedal remains pushed to the floor during shifting.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Ok then I'm right then? Cuz that's exactly what I thought but everytime I see someone claim to do it there's no rev spike at the beginning of each shift. Don't get me wrong, it'll be really short if you're good, but I've never seen anyone totally avoid it.

In a powershift when you hit the clutch the rpm's obviously jump a bit since you're floored in neutral for a split second. And yet 90% of the vids I see lack this TOTALLY, which I have to call BS on. They don't know wtf powershifting is.

I'm sure we'll get some cocky douche who'll swear up and down that he can do it without the slightest spike in rpm's but he's full o sh*t.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-30-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, right foot stays to the floor. I don't know if you can TOTALLY avoid a spike in RPM, but I have seen people do it fast enough so that it moves very very little.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Teching In

If you want to hear real powershifting watch the chase scene in Bullitt
Old 10-30-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Here's a good vid of a GTO being powershifted. You can clearly see only his clutch leg moves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0xUPKkjFGk
Old 10-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Internet Mechanic

Power Shifting = Taking your transmission's life in your hands every shift it.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Power Shifting = Taking your clutch's life in your hands every shift it.
fixed.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Launching!

Amen to that...I've done it a few times, most without problem, but the slightest wrong move and you're f*cked.

I don't know why everyone braggs about it so damn much...more risk than it's worth if you ask me. I can speed-shift pretty much as fast as most can powershift so why bother taking the risk?

I just couldn't figure out whether I was missing something or what. This sh*t most people are calling powershifting is freking BS.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

very true but sometimes you have to take thing's into your own hands if you want to be number one

Edit: wouldnt not suggest doing this often unless you have 1. a big bank account/good job or 2. you bought/have a car with a built transmission
Old 10-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by austin21
very true but sometimes you have to take thing's into your own hands if you want to be number one
Still not worth it. Some people have too much pride. I'm all for winning but not at the expense of my ride. Do you look like a bigger fool if you lose...or if you have to call AAA to bring your monkey *** home??

And bottom line is, neither you, I or any other member on this or any other forum will be #1. No matter how fast you are someone's always going to be faster. Everyone will be beaten at some point, like it or not.

That's why I'm done with the 600+hp bullsh*t, been there, done that. I now want a car with about 450 streetable/daily driveable rear wheel horse with running gear to match and suspension to make it hook on the street. May not win them all but I'd like to show up 600+hp cars on the street cuz they're traction limited.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ive doneit a couple times and I dont look at the tach for the spike in RPM's and I dont hear it either from the drivers seat. So they could be doing it in the video, just depends where the camera is and how good the mic is.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Banned

Location: Putting my feet in your couch, cause thats how im living

I really like this post, Alot of good info here. I to have " Know it all " friends that think they know about M6. But I too am a little frustrated at the fact of knowing every racing shift I could do considerable damage. My friends all have A4's, and most of the time they talk crap about how they can just tap their T shifters and they are in gear. Well I like this guy and his 450 hp dream. I too am that way with the 450 dd/ streetable ride. I dont see a reason for a 600+ HP car on the street. take that thing to the track and half the guys on this forum will crush your pride!!!

Another reason why I read this forum

thanks for posting

Zach
Old 10-30-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

like stated above, powershifting is when you dont take your foot off the gas at all when you shift, you tap the clutch and slam it into the next gear. but i will say this, my car feels like a different car when i powershift. and yes my trans is paying for it now, i need a rebuild it this winter.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not convinced that the powershifting "gains" offset the wear on the tranny and driveline in general. I did it a few times when the motor is stock and the clutch slippage erased any possible gains that were there. Better have a good clutch and driveline to take full advantage.

The last time I tried it I missed and pegged the limiter, I will never try this again with my much faster revving at redline 355. I can see crap getting blown with big power and bad timing. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

I suppose if you don't mind replacing clutches or rebuilding transmissions, then the benefits are absolutely worth it.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:27 AM
Launching!

I am not convinced that the powershifting "gains" offset the wear on the tranny and driveline in general. I did it a few times when the motor is stock and the clutch slippage erased any possible gains that were there. Better have a good clutch and driveline to take full advantage.

The last time I tried it I missed and pegged the limiter, I will never try this again with my much faster revving at redline 355. I can see crap getting blown with big power and bad timing. Just my 2 cents.
+1, that's exactly what I'm saying. Must be a macho thing...

Quick Reply: Someone finally explain "powershifting" to me...