Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Differences between 9" diffs

Old 10-31-2007, 09:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Differences between 9" diffs

I was wondering what the differences are between the Trac Loc, Detroit Locker and Tru Trak. I am trying to put together a 9 inch rear as cheap as possible. I have found a place that builds 3rd members based on your needs. The Trac Loc is cheapest, but was wondering if this would be strong enough for my 600 rwhp nitrous car.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:21 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a trac lock is the stock style ford posi. it usess fiber clutches and steels with preload springs. works good, but as with all clutch posi's they will wear and lose they're effectiveness after a while. they can be rebuilt, though.

a Truetrac is a worm gear style unit, and senses tire slippage to actuate the posi. these are the newest on the market in this style, and have proven to be a very durable piece. they are only available in 28 and 31 spline for the ford 9 inch. they are not user serviceable.

the Detroit Locker is a tried and true heavy duty unit, uses male/female teeth to actuate posi. they too are preloaded with springs, and when it differentiates, a audible "clicking" noise is normally heard when the teeth engage and disengage through a corner. it is in a locked up state when going straight. ford 9 inch available up to 35 spline. probably the strongest unit on the market. not as costly as the Truetrac, but quite a bit more than the trac-lock.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the info. I think I am going with the Detroit Locker.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ssvert99
a trac lock is the stock style ford posi. it usess fiber clutches and steels with preload springs. works good, but as with all clutch posi's they will wear and lose they're effectiveness after a while. they can be rebuilt, though.

a Truetrac is a worm gear style unit, and senses tire slippage to actuate the posi. these are the newest on the market in this style, and have proven to be a very durable piece. they are only available in 28 and 31 spline for the ford 9 inch. they are not user serviceable.

the Detroit Locker is a tried and true heavy duty unit, uses male/female teeth to actuate posi. they too are preloaded with springs, and when it differentiates, a audible "clicking" noise is normally heard when the teeth engage and disengage through a corner. it is in a locked up state when going straight. ford 9 inch available up to 35 spline. probably the strongest unit on the market. not as costly as the Truetrac, but quite a bit more than the trac-lock.
Very well said. I also went with a Detroit locker with 35 spline axles in my 9".
Old 11-15-2007, 07:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Is there anything other than lockers available in 33/35 spline for the 9" ?
Old 11-15-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Is there anything other than lockers available in 33/35 spline for the 9" ?
Not that I found. I talked to several places and its spool or detroit w/35 spline.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Thats a bit crap.

Search this Thread