Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's finally in :).

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default It's finally in :).

Well, my SS3600 is finally in . I got to finish it tonight. I finally got that stupid seal and dipstick tube to go down in and seal right... lol. I can feel a big difference in a couple of way already. First, when accelerating normally when it shifts to a new gear the car really accelerates at a slower speed, rather than almost not changing before. Another thing I noticed is that it is going to hit a lot harder down low now. Holding it in 1st going like 20 or so and just doing a little blip on the throttle maybe 1/4 down makes your head snap back. That DEFINITELY didn't happen before . It's a very good feeling... My dad's G35 left the line a lot harder (jerks your neck) than my TA did before.... but i can tell already... not any more . And just wait until I can get tires... haha.

I think I'm going to have to go back to the guy that did my exhaust before and have him take out the X and put an H in. The rpms are right where I like them the least now (for sound) accelerating normally. There is just a hint of rasp (no real popping, just a quieter similar noise that I have never liked), and it's higher pitched than before. Think an H pipe would solve my problem?

I do have one question though. Is it normal for these converters to take a lot longer to lock up than the stock one (actual time to lock, not higher mph when it locks)? When the stock one locked it happened almost instantly. Like 1/2 second maybe. This one slowly locks and takes like 2 seconds to do it. My guess is thats normal from the higher rpm when it locks up, but I just want to make sure.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well its job is to keep you closer and in your power band, example being just cruising around, and your 1-2 shifts seem a little lagging and your 2-3 shifts same way..so it wants to hold/keep you "there", if you know what i mean, instead, of shifting and having your rpms take a big dip..low
Old 11-01-2007, 12:32 AM
12 Second Club

I didn't notice a whole lot of a difference in the shifts actually. I haven't driven it much yet though. The biggest thing I noticed really was the slow lock up. It just seems kinda funny for it to take like 2 full seconds to lock up. The rpms just slowly drop down until it's locked. If it's normal thats fine, I just want to make sure.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Regular

Very cool on the install. it has to be a huge kick in the pants vs. stock.

lockup time doesn't sound right to me. anyone else?
Old 11-01-2007, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, anyone else? I'd like to get some experienced opinions here because I have no idea. I've never been in a stalled car before.

If I don't find out for sure I am going to be contacting yank to make sure.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, mine locks up nice and strong no lag time, but I have a shift kit also so that might make a little diffrence. Maybe the lock-up clutch needs some more breaking in???
Old 11-01-2007, 06:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes a shift kit can have a significant effect on TCC apply.

To the OP... I think I would give it some time. Not long, a week or so of daily driving without hammering it every time you get in the car. Point is, I think you are hypersensitive about how the car feels since the converter install. It can take a bit of getting used to.

That being said, you could be feeling an agresive clutch that is being applied with PWM or Pulse Width Modulation. Not really sure though. I will say that I would be surprised to see a problem with a new torque converter clutch, right out of the box that is. Sometimes guys have to take their cars to a tuner and have the strategies for lock up modified because of erradic TCC operation and sometimes because of DTC's that are caused by the new high stall converter.

I say drive it and keep an eye on it!

g
Old 11-01-2007, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

u did the install yourself? howd it go??? on jack stands??? wanna save the 300 and do it myself but ive heard its a real PITA
Old 11-01-2007, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Yes a shift kit can have a significant effect on TCC apply.

To the OP... I think I would give it some time. Not long, a week or so of daily driving without hammering it every time you get in the car. Point is, I think you are hypersensitive about how the car feels since the converter install. It can take a bit of getting used to.

That being said, you could be feeling an agresive clutch that is being applied with PWM or Pulse Width Modulation. Not really sure though. I will say that I would be surprised to see a problem with a new torque converter clutch, right out of the box that is. Sometimes guys have to take their cars to a tuner and have the strategies for lock up modified because of erradic TCC operation and sometimes because of DTC's that are caused by the new high stall converter.

I say drive it and keep an eye on it!

g
Ok, sounds good. I can do that. I may be hyper sensitive right now, but I can tell you definitely takes a couple seconds to drop from up at like 2500 down to like 1800 where it is locked. My car club has a dyno day coming up next weekend, and our old club president Louis from LG Motorsports will be there with stuff to hook up to the computer while the LSx's are dynoing, so maybe I could have him take a quick look at the electronic side of it while its up there. If there is time. Thanks again for all the helps guys.

Originally Posted by firechicken99
u did the install yourself? howd it go??? on jack stands??? wanna save the 300 and do it myself but ive heard its a real PITA
Yeah I did. It actually wasn't that bad if not for a couple little things. The little e-clips on the cooler lines were a real pain for some reason, and the dipstick tube was also a real pain. Other than me losing a sheet of the instructions it wasn't really that bad. I did mine on jackstands in the front and ramps in the back.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

Well I drove it around a bit more during the weekend this last weekend. It still does the same thing, but if you aren't looking for it you would never notice it. It just slowly comes down and doesn't jerk into locking up or anything, so it's actually very unnoticeable unless you're freaked out because you just did the first install of that kind of your life on that very car. lol. I still may have louis take a quick look at it while it's dynoing anyway. I'll see what he says.

Now I'm trying to decide whether or not to take my car to the track on this coming saturday.... the day before the dyno day.... and with the same old lousy tires that came from the factory in 2000. lol
Old 11-06-2007, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

i got lucky my pops is a teacher n the autotech teach said i could come in and use the lift, but since my time is very limited between school and work i think ill just bring the car in and do my stall there. ive heard the stall is much more of a bitch then headers and the lift will make things A LOT roomier and easier. i can handle doing header and the easy exhaust on jack stands.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:15 AM
12 Second Club

I wouldn't say it is much harder, as long as you don't lose a page of the instructions and not know it like I did.... lol. That takes about an hour and a half of confusedness out of the equation. haha
Old 11-07-2007, 01:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

That lockup sounds normal, usually takes awhile for it to lockup but that can be changed with tuning if you want. Mines still does it but it doesn't bother me and I've had it for about 2 years now. Don't bother going to the track with those street tires, you're not gonna go anywhere (spinning) especially since this is your first stalled car. Break it in for a bit like Yank's website says before you go hammering on it.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:31 AM
12 Second Club

I guess I'll just stay home then. Or go take it on a cruise and break it in some more . I would be spending too much money driving an hour both ways and racing, and then driving two hours both ways to the dyno the next day, and paying for the dyno too.