Sponsored by:

2006 GTO LS2 into a 66 Nova

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2006 GTO LS2 into a 66 Nova

Hey guys,

I have a 66 Nova project car, and I am very interested in putting an LS2 into it. I've seen some eBay auctions that had a complete LS2/4L60E out of a 2006 GTO, with the PCM, gas pedal, etc. My car has a Heidts front end, so I know I'd have to swap the oil pan out from the GTO to an F-Body LS1.

I've read a few posts on here that said buying a complete drop out to put in an old car is not preferred. Supposedly it would be better to just get the motor/trans, forget about all the wiring, and buy a new PCM, go to the cable TB, and have the trans converted to work with the stock gauges.

Can anyone tell me which way would be better?

If the dropout comes with everything, wouldn't I only have to get the PCM setup to forget about ABS, VAT, Airbags, etc?

Thanks!!
Old 11-01-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure..but you are thinking in the right direction for sure...nice cars...66's. Got any pics.?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Teching In

i think 05 06 gto ls2 came with a 4l65e tranny
for the pcm u can send it off to waitforme performace
they use hp tunes efi live, what ever to edit Vats rear o2 sensors ect.
also i think you should watch this video it should be motivating
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sQWO8rb5M3M

Last edited by need ls1 not wankel; 11-01-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Not sure..but you are thinking in the right direction for sure...nice cars...66's. Got any pics.?
Pics..... uhh, yeah, but she's awful ugly right now. No floor, no quarters, not tail panel, bare front clip, etc. Gonna do a minitub (stretch the stock wheel tubs), got a TCI 4 link rear for it. After she's assembled and a rolling chassis, then it's time to start fabbing in the motor. That should be hopefully 12 months from now. So I'm trying to figure out the LS game now, so when the time comes I'll be ready.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by need ls1 not wankel
i think 05 06 gto ls2 came with a 4l65e tranny
for the pcm u can send it off to waitforme performace
they use hp tunes efi live, what ever to edit Vats rear o2 sensors ect.
also i think you should watch this video it should be motivating
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sQWO8rb5M3M
I've only seen them listed with the 4L60E. Maybe they changed to the 4L65E mid-year?

Some people said to scrap the drive by wire, others say leave it. If I went to the cable setup, is the drive by wire something that is controlled by the PCM and would be programmed out by Waitforme?

I'd like to go with a GTO dash gauge panel in the car, so that would allow me to keep the VSS instead of converting to for the stock dash.

Also, that car in the video you posted is awesome. Chad is doing a lot of those and selling them lately. I think he said that car had a 550 lift cam in it, can't remember, but maybe it was a 525. His car sounds IDENTICAL to what I want. Since I'm so new at the LS2 scene, what is the stock "lope" sound of an LS2 engine?

Who would be the best person to call about what I need electronically to swap an LS2 into my car? A place like Waitforme? I have a good idea what to look for as far as fitment and such, but when it comes to the electronics as far as what to keep and get rid of, I'm lost. Just need a little help!!

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it!!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 66 BADBOY
Pics..... uhh, yeah, but she's awful ugly right now. No floor, no quarters, not tail panel, bare front clip, etc. Gonna do a minitub (stretch the stock wheel tubs), got a TCI 4 link rear for it. After she's assembled and a rolling chassis, then it's time to start fabbing in the motor. That should be hopefully 12 months from now. So I'm trying to figure out the LS game now, so when the time comes I'll be ready.
I am sure all of us interested can wait awhile.....no problemo.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Launching!

OK!!!! But remember, you asked for it!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/66BADBOY

She is all we could afford to start with at the time. I've wanted one for 14 years, and had just enough to get it. It had the NOS quarters, NOS fenders, Heidts front end, Goodmark cowl hood, interior kit, trunk lid, etc. She needs a lot of work, but its basically a blank canvas for me. I have a job that does not let me use my mind or my hands.... or my ideas. So this car is going to be an awesome outlet source for me. Much needed, and much appreciated. Like they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 66 BADBOY
OK!!!! But remember, you asked for it!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/66BADBOY

She is all we could afford to start with at the time. I've wanted one for 14 years, and had just enough to get it. It had the NOS quarters, NOS fenders, Heidts front end, Goodmark cowl hood, interior kit, trunk lid, etc. She needs a lot of work, but its basically a blank canvas for me. I have a job that does not let me use my mind or my hands.... or my ideas. So this car is going to be an awesome outlet source for me. Much needed, and much appreciated. Like they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Thanks for the help!!
Looks like a real nice/cool/huge project.. Lotta sheetmetal was crap I see...wowow...nice build..looks like you have a pretty good workspace though...should be your pride & joy when completed [although we all know,it is never completed.] ...EXCELLENT...pics and so forth. Doug.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another alternative for electronics is John at Speartech. He is the most helpful and customer service oriented guy I know. There are a lot of positives to the drive by wire. I have it in my car on an LS1 and I love it. Just had to add a switch to have cruise control, which is a priority for me since ours makes some road trips. If it works for the Corvettes and GTOs, it should work fine for whatever application you choose. If you can get a drop out, take everything they have, you can always sell off what you don't need.

Good luck, sounds like you have a great project planned.

Pat
Old 11-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I appreciate it.

Looks like I'll try calling Speartech too. I have so many questions, its hard to type them without getting them all mixed up and weaved together. Probably best to talk it out on the phone with someone.

Looks like there are a lot of sweet cars on this site. Gonna be spending a lot of time thumbing through here looking at everyones rides. Man I love this stuff.....

Thanks again,

Barry
Old 11-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Pat,

Just checked out your Stude real quick. WOW!! Nice work man!!! I gotta ask you, who the heck did those engine covers??? I love the way they look. Nice job.

EDIT::: Never mind, just went back and read the print by the pics. Have to get ahold of them when the time comes.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Teching In

im wanting to put a 5.3 in my rx7 i am also curious on the subject of flybywire tb's i have read before that u would need the pedal assembly from the donor car but in not 100 % for sure
if u convert to a throttle cable u can buy a lsx throttle cable from lokar, however i would think u would need to modify the harness to put in a Throttle Position Sensor, but i may be wrong either way im sure
speartech / wait4me will inform you and can modify your harness if need be if you want a throttle cable over flybywire
Old 11-03-2007, 07:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We use Current Performance Wiring and have never had a problem. I know they can do the programming and modify LS2 harnesses to work, or even build them from scratch totally custom. Might try them as well, They have always been pretty good on pricing and very knowledgable.

Quick Reply: 2006 GTO LS2 into a 66 Nova