Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value of Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value of Modifications

In searching for my first LS1, it's difficult to find many that are "bone stock." Therefore, I'd like to get an idea of what you would consider paying for a car with modifications.

Is there a general rule of thumb (i.e. 20%) that is acceptable for trying to value modifications done to a car? Granted that there are plenty of variables that come into play (how new the mods are, what they mean to the buyer, if they are easily removed and parted off, etc.). Aftermarket power adders such as turbos / SC's probably hold their value much more than bolt on's.

What % over KBB value would you pay for a car with lets say "basic bolt-ons" (CAI, exhaust, headers)?

Just trying to go about this as tactfully as I can. Appreciate the insight.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would probably say dont pay a penny more than book value for a car with only basic bolt ons as they dont really add any value at all. Ive heard people on here say 15% of what you paid for the part without labor is how much youll get back out of it on your value. so if you put a $1000 exhaust system and a couple hundred dollar intake that could add $180 to the value at 15% but really that doesnt even make a difference dont pay extra for basic mods. but in the end is all about what the car is worth to you there is no book value in the world that will tell you what the car is worth to you personally. hope that helps
Old 11-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Binks - Thanks for the response. From what I've read on this forum and others (Corvette Forum, SVT Performance, Etc.), most people say between 10 - 20%. But as mentioned, it's almost on a case-by-case basis. Depends what the mod is, the value to the buyer, and what the seller will let the car go for.

Any other opinions on this matter?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figure it should add about 50% of the price of used parts for sale online (assuming the seller has the original parts that he aftermarket one replaced going with the sale)

For that price, i'll leave it on my car if for sale, if I can't get at least 50%, i'll go back to stock, and sell the parts.

Ryan
Old 11-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Thanks, Ryan. That's bringing the average up a bit.

I suppose if you're a buyer, you'd say the % should be lower, and as a seller, you'd want it to move in the other direction.

You raise a good point about keeping the stock parts - definitely a nice option to be able to put things back to stock form and part out the aftermarket stuff.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no formula you can use in this case. You need to look at each car individually and assess it that way. All parts dont cost the same even though it’s the same basic part. Say long tube headers. Certain headers are cheap others are very expensive.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 11-02-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Launching!

It depends if the seller care or even knows about performance to really appreciate the value. Maybe you should ask potential buyers first if they a fellow "LS1techeker"