Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

blown a battery and 3 alternators in 2 months, help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 01:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default blown a battery and 3 alternators in 2 months, help!

Started 2 months ago, my voltmeter was jumping from 11-14 volts back and forth when hot, went to autozone did a load test came back bad battery, it was an autozone gold top and they replaced it on the spot, ran fine

3 Days later it did the same thing, but after a few hours it wouldn't charge at all, dead guage. drove it to autozone, had them test the system again came back bad alternator. drove it home pulled it out and brought it back. tested good on their machine, i called bullshit cause i left there 2 hours ago, and they said it wasn't charging. the manager finally gave me a new one.

now 4 days later, the alternator goes completely dead, no charge, no voltmeter jumping.

I have a passport hardwired and it has a voltmeter so i'm going off that also, not just the dummy guage...

Is there an external voltage regulator or something I need to check?
Should I be looking for bad grounds or something?
Is it just crappy autozone stuff and i need to go thorugh 8 to find one that works? (went thru 8 5.0 starters to find one that worked from autozone for my stang)

please any suggestions would help

Thanks in advance
Old 11-03-2007, 01:42 AM
9 Second Club

In my opinion its the autozone crap. But you do need to check your exciter wire going to the alt. Make sure the PCM doesnt have a stored code (L terminal circuit). This does not set a SES light it is a stored code.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:11 AM
On The Tree

pulled it, went to autozone, tested bad. they gave me a new one, popped it in and reading 13.9. we'll see how long this one lasts
Old 11-08-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

autozone is bs, i figured that out a long time ago. they are pretty cheap though, but it will cost you more in aggrivation in the long run. i have used advance for years and they seem to be doing pretty good so far.....