Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 Bolt setup questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 Bolt setup questions

At the end of the week I will be doing a complete rebuild on my stock 10bolt. I have a few questions about where i can find a few tools i will need to make the job easier.

I already have a dial indicator gauge to set backlash and a bearing puller for the job. What i need to find is a tapered cone to install the pinion race. and a bearing installation tool for the pinion bearing. <-- Where can i find these tools for cheap. Ebay has a race installation set but its almost 40bux. Does Advance loan these tools out?

If you can think of anything else to make the job easier feel free to post.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

I ordered the installation tools online and it was pretty cheap, but I never received them til I was done lol. Anyways I just used the old races set onto the new ones and used a hammer to put the new ones in. Luckily my grandpa has a press for the bearings, but another way is to freeze the pinion overnight in either the freezer or a cooler with dry ice, and put the bearing on a hot plate or in the oven to heat it up, the bearing will slip right on, you might need to persuade it a little but it won't need much, just don't pound on it and use a rubber mallet or a block of wood and hammer.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help. I believe it will help me a lot during the rebuild. I really like the simple idea of cooling down the pinion and heating the bearings. Very similar to how valve seals are seated in some Cylinder heads. I don't know why I didn't think of that. As for the races i believe I am going to use the old race to install the new one instead of buying the installation set. I Just don't have the 40bux to throw around. I think I will just cool down the race as well before I deal with that issue. Thanks again