Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker LTs Have Been Ordered, What All Do I Need Now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hooker LTs Have Been Ordered, What All Do I Need Now?

I just placed my order for a set of Hooker Longtubes and was hoping someone could direct me in what all I'll need to purchase to finish up the install. I'll be buying new GM gaskets and stage 8 header bolts. I'm getting a custom made Y-Pipe with Carsound cats, but I'm not sure what I'll need to make the 2.5" Y fit on 3" collectors and a 3" exhaust. This is where I'm really stumped. Do I need to buy some kind of reducer to make the Y work with the collectors on the headers and/or Flowmaster Y-Collector? Also, will I need any 02 sims and/or extensions? I'll be retaining all the emissions equipment and the car is a 99.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Josh
Old 06-16-2003, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Hooker LTs Have Been Ordered, What All Do I Need Now?

Why are you getting a 2.5" y-pipe instead of 3"?

But to answer your questions,... yes, you will need reducers to go from 3" to 2.5". If your having a y-pipe custom made, reducers shouldn't be too difficult for an exhaust shop to come up with. However, you can get them from Jegs or Summit. You won't need o2 sims and the extensions should come with the headers.

Get a tube of anti-sieze for the header bolts. Now would also be a good time to change your spark plugs if you have not done so yet. Use some anti-sieze on the plugs too.

Old 06-16-2003, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Would going with a 3" Y be easier? If it would eliminate the need for reducers, I may just go that route. I didn't see any of the Flowmaster Y Collectors with 3" inlets, though. Any idea where could I find one? Would this be as effective: http://www.exhaustproslinc.com/magmanbenypi.html?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 06-16-2003, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Yes I would go with a 3" y-pipe. The header collectors are 3" and I believe the i-pipe on you LM is too.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Would going with a 3" Y be easier? If it would eliminate the need for reducers, I may just go that route. I didn't see any of the Flowmaster Y Collectors with 3" inlets, though. Any idea where could I find one? Would this be as effective: http://www.exhaustproslinc.com/magmanbenypi.html?

Thanks,
Josh
definitely get a custom 3" ypipe, or a mufflex but I hear more complaints about there fitup. a custom ypipe done by someone good that won't crimp the bends thus keeping a true full 3" flow throughout. FLP does nice longtubes and for whatever reason they us a 2-1/2" ypipe which makes no sense. Defintely go 3".