Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Screwy Security?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screwy Security?

I have a 2001 T/A with the factory keyless entry and security.

The key has a resistor. Sometimes I turn the ignition and the car won't start. The security light comes on (the red light in the vent, not the "Security" light on the dash) and nothing happens. I read the manual and said that it could be because the key is dirty or something like that. However this happens about half the time I try and start my car.

Here's the strange thing. I've tried different methods of starting it once I hit this problem, and all of them have worked AND not worked. I tried waiting 5 minutes, turning it a few times rapidly, pushing the key further into the ignition and pressing hard...

It still pops up on me at least 4 or 5 times a week. Should I bring it to a place to get fixed or just leave it and keep trying random things?

Also, is it possible to remove that feature of the keyless entry and security system? If not, would anyone recommend removing it altogether and putting in an aftermarket alarm system?
Old 11-05-2007, 07:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There are two different security systems. One is the Vehicle Anti Theft System (VATS) and the other is the Content Theft Deterrent system (CTD).

The VATS system is the one that uses the resistor in the ignition key to check if the correct key is being used. It will not allow the car to start with the wrong key. The indicator for the VATS system is the "SECURITY" light in the dash gauge cluster. All those things you mention from the manual about waiting, cleaning the key, etc. are related to VATS.

The CTD system is what most people consider to be the alarm. The indicator for the CTD system is the red LED on top of the dash next to the defroster vent. As the name suggests, the CTD system is merely to deter break-ins to the car. It has absolutely nothing to do with the starter or fuel system and will not prevent the car from starting even if the lights are flashing and the horn is blowing.

The only connection between the two systems is the Body Control Module (BCM). Both systems are controlled by the BCM. It sounds like you have two separate problems (starting and alarm) which may both be caused by a bad BCM. Do you have any other symptoms of a bad BCM such as intermittent radio or power window operation?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

No other problems other than the windows are real slow, but that's inherent of all recent GM vehicles.

From your description, it sounds as if it could be either the VATS or the BCM. This morning had the same problem. The SECURITY light does come on for a few seconds when it happens. I solved it turning the ignition a few times in rapid succession. Seems to work the most, but still, not always.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

You might try cleaning the ignition cylinder. Cleaning the key is often only half of the solution since the contacts inside the ignition cylinder can get grimy as well. A couple of good shots of spray contact cleaner (available from Radio Shack) and then working the key in and out several times will usually take care of it.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

I'll give that a try and let you know.

Anything else it could be?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

I'm going to Radio Shack this evening. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person on the planet, so please forgive me. Where exactly should I spray it? Into where I insert the key?

I'm also told that the key might be worn and that would cause the problem. It's just really annoying that I never know if my car will start or not.

If the spray doesn't work, can I bring it to any repair shop to fix or do I have to go to a Pontiac dealer?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Spray the contact cleaner into the ignition key slot in the steering column. Spray liberally - don't worry about overspray because it's designed to evaporate quickly. Work your key in and out of the ignition a few times to dislodge any gunk that the spray loosened but didn't remove. Then just wait a few minutes for it to dry and try starting the car.

Do you have the spare key? Using that could tell you if the first key is worn, damaged, or defective. In fact, if you don't have the original spare key then that's the next thing I would try - get a new key made and see if that solves the problem.

You don't absolutely have to go to the dealer but many shops won't have the testing equipment or know-how to diagnose the problem. One possibility is to get an audio shop to install a VATS bypass (or do it yourself). It may solve the problem but it removes an anti-theft feature of the car.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

white bird great responses, i personally leaning towards the dirty contacts or worn ignition cylinder and or key. easiest is to prolly bypass it if the cleaning doesnt work, i mean you dont wanna get stranded somewhere. you can always install a kill switch yourself somewhere else.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Radio Shack didn't have the contact cleaner. They only had screen cleaners.

However, I find that if I press in hard before I turn the key it starts up every time.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Must be an awfully small Radio Shack - every store in my area has it. More likely the kid at the counter didn't know. Ask for item 64-4315 or 64-4345 (either one will do the job but the first is better).
Old 11-10-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default bypass the VATS

Originally Posted by mermel
I have a 2001 T/A with the factory keyless entry and security.

The key has a resistor. Sometimes I turn the ignition and the car won't start. The security light comes on (the red light in the vent, not the "Security" light on the dash) and nothing happens. I read the manual and said that it could be because the key is dirty or something like that. However this happens about half the time I try and start my car.

Here's the strange thing. I've tried different methods of starting it once I hit this problem, and all of them have worked AND not worked. I tried waiting 5 minutes, turning it a few times rapidly, pushing the key further into the ignition and pressing hard...

It still pops up on me at least 4 or 5 times a week. Should I bring it to a place to get fixed or just leave it and keep trying random things?

Also, is it possible to remove that feature of the keyless entry and security system? If not, would anyone recommend removing it altogether and putting in an aftermarket alarm system?
bypass the VATS mearsure the resistance on the key then insert this amount of resistance inbetween the VATS wire.

When a bird craps on my car I find his nest and get him back w/ a giant turd.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whitebird00 - I went to radio shack to buy the contact cleaner. Sprayed into the ignition and ran the key back and forth a few times to clean it out. Waited for it to dry and my Security light still comes on. I also used my spare key just in case the resistor on the one I use is too dirty or worn out. My car hasn't given me any problems as far as start ups but that light is annoying.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

It's possible that the ignition cylinder in the steering column is worn or damaged so that the VATS can't get a consistent reading. In fact, if pushing hard on the key seems to solve the problem then that seems likely. A new ignition cylinder is about $70. Or you can certainly do a VATS bypass for less if you don't mind losing that function.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

It happened again tonight. Even when pushed in hard, the problem still popped up. I'm going nuts with this. I don't know anything about cars except how to drive them. Where can I take this to get it bypassed or fixed (fixed preferably)?
Old 11-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Certainly your dealer can replace the ignition cylinder for you but it probably wouldn't be cheap. Actually, any reasonably skilled mechanic can do it - with proper tools you could do it in your driveway in less than an hour.

If you prefer to bypass the VATS system, many audio shops can do that for you. It's a necessary step for installing remote starters and it's the same for all GM Pass Key II systems so they should have the parts.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Certainly your dealer can replace the ignition cylinder for you but it probably wouldn't be cheap. Actually, any reasonably skilled mechanic can do it - with proper tools you could do it in your driveway in less than an hour.

If you prefer to bypass the VATS system, many audio shops can do that for you. It's a necessary step for installing remote starters and it's the same for all GM Pass Key II systems so they should have the parts.

I bypassed my VATS system with a resistor and problem gone. I refused to pay 250 bucks to get my key cylinder replaced when I can use a .05 cent resistor.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

I have a full warranty on the car, so replacing the ignition cylinder would probably be covered.

I didn't even know you could put a remote start on a manual. How does that work with the clutch and everything?