Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil on impeller side

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Oil on impeller side

I have a 2001 camaro ss with a v9 vortech supercharger on and I have been having a oil leak somewere, there is oil on the impellar side when I check there is also oil through the whole air intake and through the maf and like I said on the impellar side and through the after cooler into the throttle body. I just sent the supercharger to ge rebuilt and they said they changed the 2 seals in the supercharger after being reistalled it's doing the same thing can the leak be coming from the upper part of the motor? any insight would be greatly appreciated......
Old 11-05-2007, 09:03 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not familiar with the vortech, but how is your PCV system routed?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Vortech and mine did the same thing. It was pulling oil from the pcv valve. Re-route your setup and it should go away.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:46 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Well what kind of air filter you running? If it is a K&N wash it and just oil it very lightly. I never ran that PVC system like they had it I blocked it off right away and the MAF is before the PVC system is why I mentioned the air filter as that is all that is before the inlet of the S/C. Probably a combination air filter getting your MAF and PVC getting the rest of your system. If you don't want to move the PVC you can put a catch can inline and drain it regularly. GOod luck I ran mine a long time with out any real issues.
Jeff
Old 11-05-2007, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

were is the pcv valve located?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:14 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

It is right next to the intake on the passenger side.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

how does the oil get sucked in that way? the blower unit is mounted on the driver side, were is it being sucked in? and how?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:44 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mmorellicamaross
how does the oil get sucked in that way? the blower unit is mounted on the driver side, were is it being sucked in? and how?
I guess I am going to have to draw it out for you LOL! Come on man look at how the whole system is set up and think about what is happening to the hose that goes from thefront of the valve cover to the back of the intake side of the blower inlet tube. When you are driving around etc... all it is doing is sucking and when you punch it well it is REALLY sucking. and sucking the oil right out of the valve cover and into your inlet tube. That is the intake for your PVC system basicly. The PVC valve on the other hand is only good for around 6-7lbs of boost and probably is still leaking boost into your crank case so you should put a check valve one it to keep that from happening and also there should be a catch can inline with the intake to keep it from sucking in oil when you are not in boost as it is in vacum at that point etc... If you need more explanation you are going to have to call me as I am not going to keep typing big posts like this. I hope I have helped you out some.
Jeff
Old 11-05-2007, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

thanks Jeff your information has been helpfull, I hope this is what the problem is.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

All three Vortechs that I've had have done this since they were new. I have nothing coming into the intake side from the engine. It could only be the shaft seal.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:21 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
All three Vortechs that I've had have done this since they were new. I have nothing coming into the intake side from the engine. It could only be the shaft seal.
It could be, but not on the MAF that is gonig to have to be the Air filter or somthing comming in before it. I never had any shaft seal leaks on either one of mine I had two, but it could be, but you have to eliminate a list of things before you can make that call. Cause the PVC system will suck in a lot of oil if it is installed like Vortech's instructions show. Once he determines he has all of the possilble oil entry points isolated he can make that call and possibly send the unit back again for repairs etc...
Old 11-05-2007, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

The crank shaft seal? what seal do you mean?
Old 11-05-2007, 05:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Inspector12
It could be, but not on the MAF that is gonig to have to be the Air filter or somthing comming in before it. I never had any shaft seal leaks on either one of mine I had two, but it could be, but you have to eliminate a list of things before you can make that call. Cause the PVC system will suck in a lot of oil if it is installed like Vortech's instructions show. Once he determines he has all of the possilble oil entry points isolated he can make that call and possibly send the unit back again for repairs etc...
The oil will go back a little into the suction side tube. I don't remember if it ever got back to the MAF when I had it there. I'd run it with the vent tube off of the intake tube for awhile and see if it still does it. That way the engine is out of the loop.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

There is also oil leaking down the front part of the motor, I cannot locate the leak, like i said previously I sent the blower back to vortech and they put new seals and bearing in it. The balancer pulley was loose so I put a new balancer bolt in and torque to spec, the front of the radiator is dry, seems like oil is flinging up under the aftercooler and the maf and throttle body and seems to drip down under on the driver side almost under the alternator, also oil seems to be by the oil filter with small drips there, I changed the oil feed line and drain line also. When I look in from the top or from under the car with it running I cannot see any oil leaking then I close the hood and take it for a ride and look again and there is oil on the lower sway bar on the driver side. Then I go back to that other problem with the oil in the implellar and intake system also. What do you guys think???
Old 11-05-2007, 10:17 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

I believe it is two different problems. I think your oil supply or return line might be leaking externally or when your balancer came loose you may have messed up the seal and is continueing to leak oil and sling it around which is probably the case. Did you pin the crank or have it keyed if you had the motor gone through? If not it would be one of the first thhings I do before you mess up the snout of your crank and the balancer.
Jeff
Old 11-06-2007, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

I think you are right it is two problems the first with the pvc system and the second with the balancer or timeing gaskets. Were can I get a catch can inline and check valve I guess i will start there.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:51 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mmorellicamaross
I think you are right it is two problems the first with the pvc system and the second with the balancer or timeing gaskets. Were can I get a catch can inline and check valve I guess i will start there.
I got all my check valves at www.Mcmastercarr.com And a catch can can be purchased at a number of locations from a sponser etc...I have the AMW catch cans and they are nice, but there are other cheaper ones.
Jeff
Old 11-06-2007, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

were do i purchase the amw catch cans? Do you think the ls1 to ls6 pcv conversion is worth doing?
Old 11-06-2007, 02:31 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

If you have the time it seems to be better. And I don't believe they are a sponcer any more.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

what do you think of the morso inline catch cans.

Quick Reply: Oil on impeller side