Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70 Chevelle LS2 Serpentine Setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 70 Chevelle LS2 Serpentine Setup

I have been looking for serpentine Setups for my LS2. I purchased the engine out of a 06 GTO. The pulleys in that set up did not work because the alternator touches the power steering box.

John_67 has a set up that I think will work but I need to know several things.

I have other options such as

S&Ps Set up
March Set up
Billet Specialties
Detroit Speed

I find these setups look nice but are entirely too expensive. I want a plain setup like John_67 has.

I believe this is the pulley setup off a Corvette. I want to make sure that I get the correct one. Will I need a different waterpump and balancer? I do plan on running the Stock AC compressor so do I need to cut and weld the frame?

Any help on this would be appreciated. Or John_67s contact info.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Most of us use the F-body setup which works nicely. The alternator is very close to the steering box, but it does clear. I decided to use an alternator relocation kit and move the alternator up towards the passenger side head, while moving the tensioner that usually resides on the water pump down towards the steering box. Tons of room now.

And I agree about all those other systems. Total ripoffs.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Teching In

I believe the GTO assc. are the same as a F-body and most A-body guys run that set up with little or no modification.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Regular

Not the same...
Old 11-05-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i had a truck engine i used in my 69, so i needed a new drive anyway, and i used the corvette drive-they sell it as a kit, but i was unable to order the kit, wouldnt take the #'s, so i had to piece it out, expensive-i dont think the a/c comp would fit though
i also used the hooker headers and their adapter mounts, and a cts oil pan
Old 11-05-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cloned -the engine is an 06 ls2 with a stock acc. drive for a corvette. the alt. clears with plenty of room . im pretty sure but not positive the balancer and water pump should be good but there are other guys around here that would know better.im not using the stock setup for the ac,ill probably get a damper from ati with the ac pulley foward of the main belt and fabricate my own brackets for an aftermarket compressor/ac system. any option other than cutting and welding the front crossmember may lead into a few bucks.I didnt want to cut my chassis or mount the comp. up high (s&p). i used goldens chevy for the engine and some additional parts in PA (scott)he was pretty helpfull in looking up stuff and getting it out . hopefully you may be able to use some of your acc.with the vette brackets?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm also looking into a Serpentine Setup to use on my 64 Nova. I saw two nice ones at SEMA last week. Vintage Air has a new one coming out in December but it's too much $$$$. March has one as well and is much cheaper, ($1350, if you own a business and an extra 5% off SEMA show pricing until Friday I believe). It comes with everything that I need and is polished and powder coated. Comes with a water pump, alternator and Sanden compressor, (small power steering pump is extra). It uses an F-body crank pulley.

D.J.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

That's almost $1000 more than it cost me to piece together an F-body setup here....
Old 11-06-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

QSPres, Looks like you put together a good system for your application and at a good price,(do you have pics of your system?). I just wanted to post some of the options that I saw at SEMA and some pricing. The high end systems aren't for everyone and I would have to agree with you on the price. From what I saw there, they were starting at $1350, (March) and going north with some coming in at around 3K, (Vintage Air, Zoops, Billet Specialties, etc.) (for the man who has everything). All of those systems would like dynomite on a street rod or other style of show car. Just depends where you are going with your build.

D.J.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

Here it is in its dirty street grime mockup form...

I'm still being dicked around on my power steering pump. I paid for it over a month ago and its still not in yet, but everything else is there.

I'm trying to use as many OEM parts as I can because they're engineered to take alot of abuse that the aftermarket parts won't take in most cases. Plus, you can't beat their prices because of the volume they're produced in.
Attached Thumbnails 70 Chevelle LS2 Serpentine Setup-altrelokit.jpg  
Old 11-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by QSPres
Here it is in its dirty street grime mockup form...

I'm still being dicked around on my power steering pump. I paid for it over a month ago and its still not in yet, but everything else is there.

I'm trying to use as many OEM parts as I can because they're engineered to take alot of abuse that the aftermarket parts won't take in most cases. Plus, you can't beat their prices because of the volume they're produced in.

What application are you taking this serpentine setup from?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

Its an F-body setup. Ran me $100 for the A/C compressor and all the brackets. The P/S stuff was $130 if it ever comes in, the water pump was $45, and the alt bracket relocation kit was $65...
Old 11-06-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.marchperf.com/pg77.html. You may want to check this out. It's fairly compact and pretty much stays within the confines of the engine.

D.J.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good.

But I bet I would have to take a 2nd mortage out on the house for that setup !
Old 11-06-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

And if you've never cleaned billet aluminum before, especially after a rain storm, let me tell you, you are in for a surprise....
Old 11-06-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know what you mean about the cleaning. It's a PITA. The billet parts are powder coated on the March Drive so that shouldn't be an issue. The Sanden compressor and the alternator are polished but not coated so you would have to keep after them. The stock F body and Corvette drive brackets and alternator get a white corrosion on them as well so you have to keep after them. At least on cars they do.

D.J.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

Unless you powdercoat or paint them...
Old 11-07-2007, 04:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Great idea powder coating the stock components. How much did it cost you to have them powder coated/painted or did you do it yourself? Did you remove the casting roughness and casting flash before you had them coated or just coated them in there stock condition? Sounds like a good way to go. Is that a new water pump for $45?

D.J.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:05 AM
TECH Regular

Nah, I haven't done anything yet. I will probably paint everything, as taking all the tensioners and everything all the way apart and pressing off all the pulleys, etc will be too much work for me. I'll probably bead blast what I can, and sand down the rest...

The water pump was used. Bought it from someone who put on an electric pump..

Quick Reply: 70 Chevelle LS2 Serpentine Setup