Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Issues

Well, think I burned up the alternator last night. Coming home from school and the lights are pretty dim. Few miles, the tach goes dead, few miles later, the speedo is dead. Get into town and the car is idling WAY high, guess the IAC is angry now. Make it home, kill the car. Starts back up, idle is normal. Altenrator is charging. Give it a rev, no more charging. Alternator is giving off a wisp of smoke. Check it out today, alternator charges, but when the car gets up to operating temp, it's back to dead. Grrr.

So heres a few questions. It's an '01 setup, was I supposed to have a resistor inline with the little red exciter(?) wire? Not sure if that applies to only 98's or not.

Also, since I have an '00 setup sitting in the garage which I was going to swap in, I was going to pirate the alternator to get me around. Took a look at it, and it has had a bunch of wires cut on it. It still has the yellow wire connected, but three other wires have been cut. I don't know why? The more I find out about this latest take out, the more I get angry.

Would appreciate any input on this.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:35 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 01 does not require a resistor, that is taken care of by the computer. The 2000 alt is the same and should plug right in, the only wire that is needed on the 4 pin plug is the red wire at pin B.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 AM
TECH Regular

Sweet. Looks like someone swapped the plug on the '00 setup for the alternator and cut the old wires off and spiced except for the pin B which is now yellow. The connector is blue green yellow white. No biggie. Wonder why the alternator burned up on the '01, only 70K on it.

Last edited by OldSchoolFormula; 11-07-2007 at 02:33 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the regulator is crapping out. Mine acted the same when fluid from the PS reservour leaked into the regulator connector. ('98)
Old 11-07-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

You know, the power steering did explode on me a few weeks ago... wonder if that did it.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldSchoolFormula
The more I find out about this latest take out, the more I get angry.
That's what has me nervous about starting my swap - I'd REALLY rather try & buy everything locally (as much as possible), but doing so narrows your options rather drastically. (Example: I called approx. 5 junkyards today trying to find an F-body accessory drive setup so that I can swap in my LQx, & not one was able to help me - and I live in a city that has just under 3 million people!)

I'm reasonably sure that I'll be able to find an engine & T-56 locally, but other/little stuff looks to be a PITA...

(Sorry, it's not my intention to hijack the thread...)

Quick Reply: Alternator Issues