Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Need People to help me with my Cam Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need People to help me with my Cam Swap

Hey everyone,

After 3 months of going back and forth, Ive finally decided on a cam, Texas Speed Torquer V.3 Camshaft. I think I have everything to make a complete swap. I got the cam, Patriot Spring Kit, 7.4 pushrods, the install kit from MPH. The only thing I will need is experienced people that can help me with the swap, and the valvespring compression tool, and the UD puller other than that I have everything.

Now, heres my question, I live in Plainsboro, NJ, I have as free days Wednesday, Nov 21st, or Saturday Nov 24th. Do you guys think we cam swap my cam in a day, assuming we get started around 10am? Of course anyone thats coming is invited for Steaks and free Beer.

Anyone interested please let me know!

Thanks alot

Mike

609-937-8329
Old 11-07-2007, 12:05 AM
Launching!

Hey bruh, Loved to help ya if I was a lil closer(Minnesota). As far as the cam install and valvespring swap goes, I did mine in about 9 hours by myself(w/a couple of breaks in there)on a Saturday. If you need a Valve spring compressor tool, check out this link. http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170592
This is the tool I used and it worked awesome. The guy gets em out to you quick too. You did go w/the Dual's w/that cam right?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:19 AM
Teching In

of course I went with duals!
Hey thx for the help, I posted 1 on the goat forum too and i was trying my luck here.

thx again for your help!
Old 11-07-2007, 07:30 AM
TECH Regular

Nice choice. I just put the first 25 miles on my Torquer v.3 within the last couple days.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

Here is the Cam install I wrote (based on LS1howto.com) Its for the 04 but most of it applies for the 05
http://konrademrich.com/cars/gto/ls1gtocaminstall.doc
Good luck!
Old 11-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Hey thanks all of ya for your input. Black Bird...how ya linking it? is it streetable? Nice power?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by radkon
Here is the Cam install I wrote (based on LS1howto.com) Its for the 04 but most of it applies for the 05
http://konrademrich.com/cars/gto/ls1gtocaminstall.doc
Good luck!
Careful w/this install rightup. Don't pull the crank pulley on w/the crank bolt. Try and get an install tool, either from a shop or from Hawk618 on here. I used my bolt and it ended up getting cross-threaded... Here's a link to my mishap and what I did to fix it. I'm sure you won't make my mistake though...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-gto-2004-2006/796875-new-mti-x1-cam-installed-pics-vid.html
Old 11-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrtosh
Careful w/this install rightup. Don't pull the crank pulley on w/the crank bolt. Try and get an install tool, either from a shop or from Hawk618 on here. I used my bolt and it ended up getting cross-threaded... Here's a link to my mishap and what I did to fix it. I'm sure you won't make my mistake though...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796875
Good point. cant you also carefully hammer the thing back into there?? Im sure an Install tool is the best way, but just in case. and I pray that I wont snap any bolts!!!
Besides that, i read that you like the reverse split cams...what do you think of my Tqer V.3...think its a good cam...Im still wondering about streetability.

But thanks for your advice!
Old 11-08-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 502Stingray
Hey thanks all of ya for your input. Black Bird...how ya linking it? is it streetable? Nice power?
PMed. Mine's untuned still, just did an idle relearn and moved the set screw on the TB as it didnt like to idle at all right off. Very streetable car even with the 3800stall, been driving it every day. Haven't matted it yet, so I'm not sure on the power, haha. Waiting just a bit for that.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Black_Bird
PMed. Mine's untuned still, just did an idle relearn and moved the set screw on the TB as it didnt like to idle at all right off. Very streetable car even with the 3800stall, been driving it every day. Haven't matted it yet, so I'm not sure on the power, haha. Waiting just a bit for that.
Hey Dude, just read ur PM...thats awesome to hear...music to my ears!! Thx for the feedback on the cam. I cant wait to put her in!!! Then its with everyone else lol!
Old 11-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

I've had the TV3 since April, the cam is flat out awesome.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 502Stingray
Good point. cant you also carefully hammer the thing back into there?? Im sure an Install tool is the best way, but just in case. and I pray that I wont snap any bolts!!!
Besides that, i read that you like the reverse split cams...what do you think of my Tqer V.3...think its a good cam...Im still wondering about streetability.

But thanks for your advice!
Please God no!! Don't do that. It doesn't take much to chip the lip of the pulley. Once you get the pulley off try pushing it on once, you'll see what I mean. Please use an install tool. I love the reverse split X1. Power and torque all over. Best cam to run if you're planning on keeping the stock heads and intake. The Torquer V3 was my second choice, I just didn't like the big lift. Didn't wanna miss-shift and have valve to piston contact.... I've heard nothing but good things about that cam though...
Old 11-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Teching In

lol ok after that one I wont hammer the thing back in. I bought a new UD since im down there anyways, and hopefully with my bolt on's (LT's, CAI, UD, Cutouts) i'll make 400 rwhp.
once again thats so much to everyone on here for your input. I cant wait to swap my cam. and I'll keep ya all updated and post a vid once my new cam is in!
Old 11-15-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mrtosh
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796875
I've updated it to recommend using a balancer install tool.