Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

is this a good shifter

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question is this a good shifter

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HURST...em200168875526 sorry i am new to this forum and search only made it even more complicated. i have 95 trans am and my stock shifter doesn't shift good into 6th and sometimes 5th. when car warms up it gets worse. when it is cold it works like a dream. anyway i don't like stock shifter and my **** is glued to the stick and i don't know how to take it off(it's horrible looking). my boot retainer is broken boot is ripped and when i give it gas in gear the whole thing jumps up. time to do something about it. so is this a good shifter? how hard is it to install? tx.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Iv heard there not bad but you should just go with the pro 5.0
Old 11-06-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

The billet hurst shifters are badass.

Why would your shifter jump up when u give it gas? A broken trans mount? Sounds like your syncros might need a lil help there, not a shifter replacement. IMHO

It is very easy to install, remove the top section of the console, then the lower section (like 7 bolts total), then remove the lower rubber boot, then the shifter (4 black 1/2 in bolts) Just remember to use sealant when you put the new one on. Also might want to spray the bottom of the shifter w/ white lithium grease. Then put it back together.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Teching In

tx guys.
i thought maybe it's normal for it to jump. it's my first stickshift car. i am looking into pro 5.0 now reviews are better for it then hurst. i am really not sure how i'll take **** off. there is no way even to turn it. is shorter stick a good idea? what's a cheapest place for all that and new **** and retainer?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:12 AM
Teching In

also my cooling fans don't go on even with a/c and car overheats if standing for long. how do i find out what's wrong with the fans?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

My **** was kinda stuck too. I just nutted up and twisted HARD, it came off with little fuss once i "broke" the loc-tite.

I use the stock Hurst w/ a ws6store short stick. I love it and everyone that drives it says it is 100x's better than the stocker.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ramashkaus
also my cooling fans don't go on even with a/c and car overheats if standing for long. how do i find out what's wrong with the fans?

Maybe the coolant sensor switch is busted? The fans wiring is messed up? Bad ground? Coolant temp sensor bad?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:25 AM
Teching In

gauge works. i took relay out(should become "alweys on")and nothing... how do i check coolant sensor switch and where is it grounded? i don't have manual yet. the car has million problems but i am in love with it and trying to make it all work. there is nom way to turn the **** without some wrench, but i am afraid to use it and brake something.