Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Best 6.5" Components EVER heard!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best 6.5" Components EVER heard!!

I've been trying to do alot of research and get alot of opinions from folks as to who makes the BEST sounding component speakers for convertible f-body front doors. PLEASE chime in and give your opinions on componets systems that you have actually HEARD in a convertible f-body and they just made your jaw drop or made you wonder WTF??!!

These speakers wont just be hooked up to the head unit. They will definitely be amped up!

I'm not lookin for best bang for your buck speakers.......just looking for the best sound period!!
Old 11-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the best I've ever heard in a convertable...not an F-body...but in a BMW 3-series were the CDT ES-Gold ES-062iUS that have 2 sets of 1" tweeters and the ES-06 cast woofers. Tons of bass and crystal clear sound. These were run off aftermarket power as well and the top was down on the car.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Teching In

I've read a couple reviews online on these CDTs. Won't 2 tweeters be a bit overbearing in a small cabin like the f-bodies have? I see you've probably installed these before. Are there any problems with mounting depth of that 6.5? One last question for ya Kee these CDTs you recommend have a pretty hefty RMS. I have a 100 Watts x4 @ 2 Ohms RMS Kenwood amp. Will this do or will this amp not do these any justice??

Oh yeah, and has anybody heard the Polk Audio Signature Reference SR6500??

This is what I had my eye on but I wanted to see if anybody has heard them installed.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Launching!

best components i have ever heard is a toss up between a 3 way set of dynaudio and a 3 way set of focal utopia. both of which retail well over $1000. which brings me to this, best is relative to 2 things and 2 things only: what sounds great to your ears and how much do you want to spend i have had so many different sets it isn't even funny. infinity, bostons, alpines, concepts, kicker, etc etc. i have had polks but not the series you mentioned. the ones i had were circa 1990 or 91. i am hoping the best i ever had will be the image dynamics chameleon csx62's i am getting ready to install i have heard them just not in an f-body.
the cdt's that Ian (kee audio) sells are bad ***! i still may go with some of their mids for my backseat, just can't make up my mind oh and you don't have to run 2 sets of tweeters with the cdt's. that is just for up-stage imaging and costs extra. i have heard it is a phenomenal set up though.

jman
Old 11-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Banned

The Upstage uses a different crossover that allows you to blend (they are actually refered to as blending modules) the 2 pairs (4 total) tweeters and brings your soundstage up more. They have different settings that help you choose the best sound for your application. I actually want to install this with a new tweeter CDT has out that is midtweeter. It has range almost that of a midrange speaker and combined with the midbass and a 3/4" to 1" silk tweeter for upper frequencies would sound incredible...comparable to a 3-way component set up I'm sure.
As far as depth in the door...the mounting depth on the HD M-6 and the ES-6 are identical (2.94"). I can get the EF-6 in the stock basket no problem with 2.74" of depth all it requires is that you bend the gold plated speaker wire leads toward the magnet a bit. The problem with them is that the stock mounting basket tapers in a bit and hits the spring loaded/press in leads on the side of the basket for the wires on the M-6 and ES-6. The mounting holes actually line up fine for the screws. This happens on the HD-6 as well. So depth is no problem with these in the doors. The problem is the stock mount but this can be remedied easily with a little mdf and a jigsaw.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RawDawg
I've read a couple reviews online on these CDTs. Won't 2 tweeters be a bit overbearing in a small cabin like the f-bodies have? I see you've probably installed these before. Are there any problems with mounting depth of that 6.5? One last question for ya Kee these CDTs you recommend have a pretty hefty RMS. I have a 100 Watts x4 @ 2 Ohms RMS Kenwood amp. Will this do or will this amp not do these any justice??

Oh yeah, and has anybody heard the Polk Audio Signature Reference SR6500??

This is what I had my eye on but I wanted to see if anybody has heard them installed.
I have some Polk SR6500 in my door panels and love them!
Old 11-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2tone
I have some Polk SR6500 in my door panels and love them!
How much power do you have going to them? Did you have your doors dynamated?
Old 11-15-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ian, you and I need to start talking about what speakers I should go with. I'm happy with the CDT sub I bought from you...I've got it tuned nicely and it really does sound clean and hit the way I wanted it to.

I'm very interested in learning more about these upstage systems and deciding what to go with (there's a lot on the CDT website) before I just buy something.

I haven't heard Boston 6.53's in a while...I found a set and almost bought them not too long ago too...how do some of CDT's options compare to them?
Old 11-15-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Do you want a pair, and if so whats your price range?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

hands down an active set will kill a component set
Old 11-15-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best components I have ever heard are the ones I currently own. Epic deal. Phoenix Gold Elites, speakers made by Morel Israel and the crossover made by PG. Midrange driver has a 3 inch voice coil (same size as my subwoofers) and a neo magnet, so the magnet is small but just as strong as these huge magnet beasts (aka it can fit in the stock location in our cars.)

I am sending 360 watts RMS to EACH side. 700 watts for front components = screaming.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Ian, you and I need to start talking about what speakers I should go with. I'm happy with the CDT sub I bought from you...I've got it tuned nicely and it really does sound clean and hit the way I wanted it to.

I'm very interested in learning more about these upstage systems and deciding what to go with (there's a lot on the CDT website) before I just buy something.

I haven't heard Boston 6.53's in a while...I found a set and almost bought them not too long ago too...how do some of CDT's options compare to them?
The Bostons are comparable to the CDT's but the CDT's seem to handle power by maintaining clarity at higher volume. I owned a set of Bostons and liked them alot. The CDT's sounded better and could handle more midbass which to me also gave them the capability of having more depth.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:41 AM
TECH Resident

Personally the best components I've heard were either the DLS 6.3's or the Dynaudio 3-way system (esotec 362 maybe?) However, neither of these were heard in an F-body. The listening environment makes a difference.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Both DLS and Dynaudio are super sexy.

I was a Hybrid audio setup, though.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Launching!

Default If you're driving a ragtop...

Why do you care about sound quality? I AM NOT BEING AN *** --- I am confused.

I got a hardtop and the road noise is LOUD. Are the converts quieter?

Anyway I loved the Boston Acoustics PRO 6.2 series and for the price they should be a strong contender.

Great soundstage AND imaging. (Cannot handle too much power RMS though)
Old 11-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Banned

F-bodies seem prone to road noise. This is why most people with any kind of concern for sound quality will put sound deadener in the car to help. Especially if your going with a set of component speakers in the price ranges we are mentioning here.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

The high end mb quarts in q form kick panels
Old 11-18-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

hands down Focal 165 K2P thats if you have 1300 for the two sets
Old 11-19-2007, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

Again for Focal.......
Old 11-19-2007, 01:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nickate
Why do you care about sound quality? I AM NOT BEING AN *** --- I am confused.

I got a hardtop and the road noise is LOUD. Are the converts quieter?

Anyway I loved the Boston Acoustics PRO 6.2 series and for the price they should be a strong contender.

Great soundstage AND imaging. (Cannot handle too much power RMS though)
That's why you do this first:

Then add speakers.

oh, and:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBoy5
hands down an active set will kill a component set
What's an "active set"? Are you talking about using an active crossover on them versus the passive crossover they come with?

Quick Reply: Best 6.5" Components EVER heard!!