Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Logging Data From Tech Edge Wide Band O2

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Logging Data From Tech Edge Wide Band O2

Has anyone written any software to log data from the Tech Edge v1.5 unit that you would want to share? Or does anyone have any ingenious ideas they would like to share for integrating the wide band output voltage into other data logging software like Autotap. I have heard of someone that wired the wide band into the harness in place of the AC pressure sensor, but don't know all the details.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:27 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Default Re: Logging Data From Tech Edge Wide Band O2

I was thinking about doing that very thing when I get my 1.5 unit.

Since the wideband output is a linearised 0-5V signal you could hook it to any sensor that outputs a 0-5V signal to the PCM and read that sensor with your logging/scanning software to get the wideband output.

I was looking in EFILive and the AC pressure sensor data as interpreted by the computer would have to be recalibrated to make sense for the wideband output. EFILive allows you to do this very easily though for any sensor.

The easiest one I see with EFILive to tap into would probably be the "Exhaust gas recirculation valve sensor". It's output as read by the computer is already in a 0-5V format so I think it would show the correct data from the wideband without any recalibrating. There are other sensors that show a 0-5V output in the computer but, I'm not sure what they are used for.

I think I'm going to try the EGR valve sensor wire for mine.

I should have it in a week or two.

John
Old 06-17-2003, 06:27 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Just spotted another possible sensor to tap. The computer displays a 0-5V format for the fuel tank pressure sensor.

Old 06-17-2003, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you using Jon's software with a Palm?
Old 06-18-2003, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

The AC pressure input doesn't work well - the sampling rate isn't high enough so it suffers from bad aliasing problems.

Old 06-18-2003, 02:05 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Chris - What sensor do you think would be best to try something like this with? It would have to be something non-critical to the operation of the engine of course.

EFILive shows quite a few PIDS that are read in a 0-5V format by the computer, just need to know what would be best to tap into. It would be nice to have the wideband data integrated into a EFILive log.

John
Old 06-18-2003, 03:44 PM
Restricted User

Does the wideband you are using output data as a serial (RS232) data stream?
If so, we are designing external data aquisition into V6.

It does this by reading a second com port for data and merging that data into it's log file. Data captured in this way can be logged, charted and analysed the same as any other parameter.

It was originally designed to integrate dyno output into EFILive but I see no reason why it cannot be used for other serial inputs.

It will not be available in the first release of V6 but it is in the development pipeline.

Regards
Paul
Old 06-18-2003, 03:46 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Yes, and when is V6 due out. Do you need a tester?

Here is a link to the Techedge 1.5 wideband unit.

http://techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/1v5/finalPCB.jpg

John
Old 06-18-2003, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

The 1.5 unit has logging capability for afr and rpm. You just need a multiple serial card or usb to multiple serial card adapter. You then log autotap or efilive and the wideband. Import them into excel and sink the rpms. Not to hard at all. I do it with and FJO wideband and autotap/efilive. With the 1.5 unit you could also replace the stock o2 sensor with this one and run the scaled linear output from the techedge box. You may set the occasional code about not switching and you would have to delete the heater codes.

Gary
Old 06-18-2003, 09:36 PM
Restricted User

Yes, and when is V6 due out. Do you need a tester?

Potential Beta testers see here:
http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23
We hope to release "beta 1" this week sometime.

V6 is due out July 1, 2003 - it may not ship on July 1.
Stability and quality will dictate the actual release date. We would rather hold it back a few weeks than release a potentially buggy product.

Regards
Paul
Old 06-18-2003, 09:41 PM
Restricted User

You then log autotap or efilive and the wideband. Import them into excel and sink the rpms. Not to hard at all.
At the request of one of our customers who needed to sync EFILive's data with external data we have changed the frame timestamp in V6 to be the actual time (time of day) instead of an offset from the start of the log file.
That way you can more easily synch two disparate data sources by matching the frame times - so long as they are both captured on the same PC using the same clock time.

Regards
Paul
Old 06-19-2003, 01:34 PM
Adkoonerstrator

The 1.5 unit has logging capability for afr and rpm. You just need a multiple serial card or usb to multiple serial card adapter. You then log autotap or efilive and the wideband. Import them into excel and sink the rpms. Not to hard at all. I do it with and FJO wideband and autotap/efilive. With the 1.5 unit you could also replace the stock o2 sensor with this one and run the scaled linear output from the techedge box. You may set the occasional code about not switching and you would have to delete the heater codes.

Gary

I was checking some logs and the average mV reading for the O2's is .535 on both banks during closed loop operation. The commanded AFR is 14.7. Techedge says to set the switch point to .450 mV on the simulated narrowband output. Wouldn't I want it to be around .535 mV though since that is the switching point on my truck? It would be easy enough to check the real AFR with the actual wideband output I guess but, do these cars/trucks actually run at 14.7:1 during closed loop operation.

I'm probably going to just weld a bung in but, these questions are racking my brain.

Paul - I think I'm just going to wait for the V6 that can log an external device. What is different between V6 and V5 that requires testing?

Thanks

John

PS - Here is some info about the narrowband output and how it's calibrated.

http://techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/1v5/techo.htm

and

http://techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/1v5/1v5cal.pdf

Old 06-19-2003, 03:31 PM
Restricted User

I was checking some logs and the average mV reading for the O2's is .535 on both banks during closed loop operation. The commanded AFR is 14.7. Techedge says to set the switch point to .450 mV on the simulated narrowband output. Wouldn't I want it to be around .535 mV though since that is the switching point on my truck
You can use EFILiveV5 to show the O2 crossover voltage - just display the O2 Sensor Test results. It is a hard-coded constant in the PCM. See here

Paul - I think I'm just going to wait for the V6 that can log an external device. What is different between V6 and V5 that requires testing?
Too many new features and changes to list here but just about every request that we have had (that could be implemented) has been included in V6.
We have spent a lot of time optimising the code - even though we have added many new features it will end up being a smaller, faster code base.

Regards
Paul
Old 06-19-2003, 04:30 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone written any software to log data from the Tech Edge v1.5 unit that you would want to share? Or does anyone have any ingenious ideas they would like to share for integrating the wide band output voltage into other data logging software like Autotap. I have heard of someone that wired the wide band into the harness in place of the AC pressure sensor, but don't know all the details.
Hey using something like the AC presure sensor is a clever idea! The way I would do it though would be to hook up the Tech Edge voltage output to a DMM with an RS232 output, then run the RS232 into a laptop running a terminal program with a capture feature; the old Kermit software had this but I'm sure there are others. Then you can save it to a file from there. BTW, how much does the Tech Edge Wide Band cost?
Old 06-19-2003, 04:36 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Paul - Thanks for all the help. This will make the wideband sensor a breeze to install.

BTW, EFILive is an awesome product. I think I'll sign up to be a beta tester for v6. I just don't really know what is expected of me for that process. I'll post on your board later tonight. I gotta go now.

Thanks again.

John
Old 06-19-2003, 07:57 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Paul - I checked my rich to lean/lean to rich crossover and it was .480 when the truck first went to closed loop and then after a short trip it had went to .430 . I'm going to go ahead and install my wideband sensor in the B1S1 sensor bung and set it to .450 as that is close to average of the two numbers above.

Thanks

John
Old 06-19-2003, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let use know how it works out using the linearized output. In the future I will probably ditch the FJO unit and go with two of the techedge units (especially the 2.0 units) which are a ton better. They use the inexpensive sensor and are pressure compensated which will be a lot more accurate. Most people dont realize is the oxygen sensor is just a partial pressure device.

Gary
Old 06-19-2003, 10:54 PM
Adkoonerstrator

I'm going to try and get it all installed this weekend so I should be able to tell you how it works next week.

I think the hardest part is going to be deciding where to put everything.

I would have went with the 2.0 version but, I'm going to need a wideband sooner than later.

John
Old 08-27-2003, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

Just spotted another possible sensor to tap. The computer displays a 0-5V format for the fuel tank pressure sensor.
How did this work out? Any further news?

Quick Reply: Logging Data From Tech Edge Wide Band O2