Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

I Got A Leak And I Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Got A Leak And I Need Help

Ok heres my problem i have water coming from under the dash even when its not raining at first i though it was the a/c so i quite useing it but the problem continued the water is comeing from under he passenger side of the dash. i have a 2002 Z28 can someone help.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:10 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like a heater coil, but I don't know
Old 11-07-2007, 03:37 PM
formerly 2000blackcamaross (6-25-2013)

Originally Posted by caddobass
Sounds like a heater coil, but I don't know
+1
Good luck with the dash.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:23 AM

defiantly sounds like a heater core, does it mist on the windshield in defrost? took me about 2 days to replace one in my 3rd gen for the first time, the second time in a different car went a little easier. have fun!
Old 11-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Launching!

theres no mist on the windsheild theres just water on the floor board
Old 11-08-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unhappy

Had the same problem long time ago. It was the heater coil.

Bill

I found this write up.

Thought I would write up what it took to do it. Sorry, no pics.

Start by draining the radiator.

Locate 2 heater hoses that go into the passenger compartment.

Remove clips. MUCH easier said than done; this took the longest. Recommend you remove the passenger side coil packs so you can get at it.

Once off, remove 7mm bolt between the 2 pipes. Tight fit again, may have to lay across engine to see.

You're now ready to go inside the passenger compartment.

First remove the cover under the glove box. 2 plastic clips and a metal clip at the bottom. I used a screwdriver for all 3.

Now remove the glovebox. 3 7mm bolts hold it in.

Now remove the cover to the heater core. 2 7/32 bolts hold it in.

Now remove the clip holding the heater core in, 1 7/32 bolt.

Carefully slide the old heater core out.

Lay it on a workbench with the new one next to it in the same orientation.

There is a rubber gasket and connecting metal piece between the 2 pipes you removed the hoses from in the beginning. Remove and install onto the new one in the same exact location.

Reverse the process for reinstall. Remember to burp the system when refilling with coolant. Turn the heat on. Disregard the nasty smell, it's the new heater core 'burning' in. It did go away after a while.

What prompted this was I was on the dyno 2 days ago and noticed smoke coming out of the center vent, and it smelled like coolant in the car. In addition, several days last week my window was fogging up along the bottom. WITHOUT the heat on, same with the dyno. Didn't get the infamous wet carpet but figured it wasn't far away. Did a pressure check, all is well but my cap was toast too, so replaced that.

Core - $80 at Autozone, cap $6.00, fluids $22.00.

Total time till I started putting coolant in - 2.5 hours. Not terrible considering it was just 'let's see what bolts to undo to get this done'
Old 11-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Thank you everyone is there a way to test to see if it is the heater coil before i start tearing into things
Old 11-15-2007, 03:13 AM
TECH Addict

Does the "water" smell like antifreeze and/or is it sticky? If you have no haze on the windshield you may have gotten lucky and caught it before it got bad. Take the passenger side kick panel off and see if you can see any place where it might be running down.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Launching!

no the water has no smell and as matter of fact i actully tasted some and it taste just like water, it dosnt leak everyday just every now and then
Old 11-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Launching!

ok well i havent had water in my floor for a longtime so the other day i turn my a/c on just to see and there is was again but it was also raining outside but when i pulled into the garage i looked onder the car for the usal condensation on the ground and there was none from what i can tell but the was water from the rain everywhere so now what? a leak in the fire wall or something crazy fucked up with the a/c
Old 12-15-2007, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Your evaporator is likely clogged or the drain tube came off. You need to pull the trim panels off and run the ac and check for leaks.

if you think its a water leak, simply put a garden hose on the windshield when its dry out and let it run down into the wiper cowl.

If you think it is a heater core, rent a coolant pressure tester, key on engine off, turn the heat on and pressure test the system.

Good luck finding it!!
Old 12-16-2007, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

do you have an aftermarket stereo installed? (subs or external amp other than factory) reason being is most shops will use the grommet behind the pcm (on firewall) for the power wire to run and if the grommet is cut improperly water will follow down the power wire past the grommet onto your floorboard... seen it more than once. just a thought
Old 12-17-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cabech984
Your evaporator is likely clogged or the drain tube came off. You need to pull the trim panels off and run the ac and check for leaks.

Good luck finding it!!
+1
Check the drain tube. I'm pretty sure if you jack the car up, you can poke the drain tube with a hanger, and unclog it. Could be a simple 5 minute fix.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

+2 on the drain tube. If you don't see any water on the ground when you run the a/c or the defrost then the drain tube is either clogged or someone has lodged it upin the floor pan.

Quick Reply: I Got A Leak And I Need Help