Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those who have replaced the stock battery tray/coolant overflow with a catch can...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Those who have replaced the stock battery tray/coolant overflow with a catch can...

Does anyone have pics of theirs? I did the swap on mine and here is a pic of how I did it, but I am thinking I need to switch the hose to the bottom of the catch can, intstead of the top to recover the fluid.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I ran mine the same way you did, but I put the bottle in where the spare tire is in the back, that way if the thing were to ever overflow the fluid won't hit the tires and cause a crash. When you do it the way you have it hooked up and the way I have it hooked up it will not recover fluid anymore, so you will find yourslef running the radiator lower then you used to. I have had mine this way all season and no problems. I have the stock radiator about 2 inches down from the top and that's as low as it's gotten, and no more fluid is finding it's way to the overflow bottle now.

I'd move that thing to the back of the car, for safety reasons. And give it a little time, let the coolant get into the bottle and keep draining it, and just see how low the radiator gets before it stops getting fluid in the bottle, my guess is that it will get a couple inches down, and stay there.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Retired Street Racer

Yeah I have had it like this for about three weeks and noticed if I start the car up in the morning for work and let it warm up at idle, the coolant light comes on by the time I get in it, and I have to fill it up a little. I can live with that if I have to do it every now and then, I just wanted to make sure it was alright this way without recovering it. Thanks man!
Old 11-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Race your car!

No problem. Old school cars didn't recover fluid at all, so think of it like that. Cars back in the 60's had non-return style overflows, and you were constantly addin a little coolant and draining the overflow, doing what you (and I) have done just makes it like that.

Move that thing to the back though, for safety, and to shift the weight out of the engine bay.. cleans it up some more too
Old 11-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
No problem. Old school cars didn't recover fluid at all, so think of it like that. Cars back in the 60's had non-return style overflows, and you were constantly addin a little coolant and draining the overflow, doing what you (and I) have done just makes it like that.

Move that thing to the back though, for safety, and to shift the weight out of the engine bay.. cleans it up some more too
That's true; I never thought of it that way.

How did you route yours? Did you run the hose under the car? Any pics?
Old 11-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Race your car!

As usual, no pictures. But yes, I ran it in thru the grommit on teh passenger's side, along the edge of the cick panel under the carpet and up to the bottle where I mounted it in the fenderwell, I was actually able to use one fo the existing holes from the amp to hold the bottle in place. I used some washers to space it out for the bolt lenth/curvature of the bottle and the wheel well. Then I put a small hose off the drain and put it thru a hole I drilled in the rubber drain grommit that is in the bottom of the spare tire well. Works out great, reach in and hit the ball valve lever to drain takes about 5 seconds to drain out any little bit that gets there, and the radiator has been good at about 2 inches lower then it's supposed to be (cold)
Old 11-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Closed Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know y but on my car i have the coolant overflow just directed to the ground and in the couple months ive done it ive never had temp above 185, no lights, and the coolant has stayed at a constent level in the radiator.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:29 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Matt, if you just hook the hose up to the bottom it will recover the fluid just like the stocker. Why anyone would want to run their radiator low or dick with adding coolant is beyond me. I installed mine where the spare tire was, with the hose on the bottom.

You don't want to run your cooling system low on coolant, thats inviting corrosion. Also, "older" cars that just had puke tanks often had a hose running to the bottom of the tank to recover fluid to the radiator.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:44 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Move the hose to the bottom, and your problem is solved.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya, unless you have the interinal hose in that bottle thats oing under the fluid leavle. Thats gona happen, or plum it to the bottem of the bottle and it works the same.

whats with the pig battery still?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by studderin
ya, unless you have the interinal hose in that bottle thats oing under the fluid leavle. Thats gona happen, or plum it to the bottem of the bottle and it works the same.

whats with the pig battery still?
Thanks guys. I'll switch it over to the bottom and run a longer hose.

Yeah the battery is heavy, and I am going to go to a lightweight one soon. It is on the "to do" list, as well as a k-member, a-arms, drag brakes, etc. It's a pig at 2975 with a half tank of gas!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SI the PC680 will be fine for use up north, just rember no reserve.
get the non metal liner for motorcyle, and stuff, little ligher.

Or the brail even lighter
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2353060
Old 11-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Retired Street Racer

Yeah that is the same battery I had on my old '00 Camaro. I never had a problem with it.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I mounted mine on the radiator support right next to the radiator and the radiator hose is connected to the bottom of the catch can.

Good Idea about running a really long over flow hose to the back of the car.

I know a guy that broke a radiator hose and wet the tires and ended up making a 9 something pass sliding through the lights on the roof =)

What about running a 2nd overflow ? You would eliminate the need for a super long hose and the extra quart capacity with the one it already has would be enough to catch an over flow?

What would weigh more a second 1 quart can or 8 feet of 5/16 rubber hose?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good to know. I just changed mine out to a Moroso one and I have it running to the top. I noticed it runs about an inch low in the radiator and if I add any it will just go back to the same and fill the overflow some more and if I keep adding it will eventually fill the overflow and come out and I have to drain the overflow. I think I'm gonna try the hose on the bottom thing.

Here is mine now:
http://one8thmile.com/sitebuilder/im...15-600x449.jpg
Old 11-10-2007, 08:09 AM
9 Second Club

Default overflow

here's mine with the breather as well.
Attached Thumbnails Those who have replaced the stock battery tray/coolant overflow with a catch can...-overflow.jpg  
Old 11-10-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had mine setup the same way and after hearing the wet tire story enough i changed it to the rear as well.. i ran the hose through the fender and back like the wire delete mod..

its safer and looks cleaner..
Old 11-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by brandonppr
Good to know. I just changed mine out to a Moroso one and I have it running to the top. I noticed it runs about an inch low in the radiator and if I add any it will just go back to the same and fill the overflow some more and if I keep adding it will eventually fill the overflow and come out and I have to drain the overflow. I think I'm gonna try the hose on the bottom thing.
That's the exact same problem I have been having. The low coolant light even comes on, and it's only an inch or two from the top. I am gonna throw the hose on the bottom as well and see if that works.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

book marked
Old 07-05-2012, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did end up changing mine to the bottom and have not had a problem since.

Quick Reply: Those who have replaced the stock battery tray/coolant overflow with a catch can...