Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

D-1 kit to F-1 on LT4 motor???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D-1 kit to F-1 on LT4 motor???

I am probably gonna get a D-1 kit in the near future for my 96 TA and just wanted to know how easy it would be to upgrade from the D-1 to F-1 when I get greedy, and what the cost would be. Also I heard there was a way to keep my AC?
Thanks
Old 11-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

if you are even considering upgrading to an f1, then i would just skip the d1 all together and get an f1 kit from bob at epp. it will save you some money down the road.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

+1 I wish I would have went F1 from the beginning. Im stuck with a P1 for a while
Old 11-08-2007, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

I don't know how loud the D1 is at idle but if you go on EPP's website they have an idle clip of a black T/A with an F1A Procharger and it sounds so BADASS!! That's the blower I want if I were to buy a procharger kit. But I guess too run low boost it would be kinda dumb, but yeah well, who cares. Go for it. You'll probably just regret getting a D1 if you already are thinking of upgrading to an F1.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, a USMC Harrier is the best way to describe the sound
Old 11-08-2007, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

I never heard a D1 before, but if it's anything like the P1 it's not very loud IMO. I would think if you get a blower you would want to hear it. At least I would.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Save yourself some money and go straight for the F1. I am in the process of upgrading from P1sc to an F1A.
Your ac is fine no matter what blower you go with cuz its on the opposite side. The F1 is just slightly thicker than the P1/D1 head units anyways.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Funkybird
Save yourself some money and go straight for the F1. I am in the process of upgrading from P1sc to an F1A.
Your ac is fine no matter what blower you go with cuz its on the opposite side. The F1 is just slightly thicker than the P1/D1 head units anyways.

I have heard that the F-1 kit enables you to keep the AC but if your saying this from experience , maybe they were talking about LS1's
My motor is not built and I know the F-1 requires more psi to spin the blower I have seen a couple of people on here run F-1's with low boost. Whats the lowest amount of boost you can run on an F-1? I know from experience and I am sure yall are going to tell me to build my motor up first. I wanna buy the blower kit first because you would laugh at me at how much I actually drive my TA. It will never see traffic or a hot day. I may put maybe 3,000 miles a year on it and thats a stretch. The most my car will ever be strung out is if I take it to the track and make 3 consecutive passes. I will plan to build another motor one day but I wanna wait til this one goes. My car is a 96 and has 49k miles on it thats how much it is driven

Thanks for everyones input I am definately listening!
Old 11-09-2007, 05:29 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The F1/F1A blowers have a 5.40/1 gear reduction instead of the 4.10/1 gear reduction used in the smaller P/D series. What this means is the F series is going to make more boost with a larger pulley on the head unit. What this also means is that you have a hard time lowering the boost to make a stock bottom end live. The largest blower pulley that ATI produces is a 5.00", and you may need an even larger one, depending on the crank pulley size. I forget what the crank pulley size is for the LT1 engines. If is is around 7.00" you should be okay, if it is larger than 7.00" then you may need to have a larger 5.50" head unit pulley made. Bob
Old 11-09-2007, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Dont Spend Your Money Twice Just Buy The F1 And Be Done With It.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:11 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a stock shortblock, DO NOT BUY AN F1 blower, unless you want to IMMEDIATELY buy a new engine. With the LT1 F-body you are limited to a 4.50" blower pulley. You can't go any larger because the upper radiator hose is in the way. Even if you could run a 5.00" pulley, an F1(A) would still make approximately 12-14 lbs of boost, and the stock pistons cannot handle that.

I understand it makes sense to buy the bigger blower first, so you're not spending the money twice for another head unit, but if you can't run it on a stock motor, what's the point? You can barely get the boost low enough with a D1SC, let alone an F1.

My recommendation would be if you are set on getting the F1, buy/build an engine that can handle it first. THEN buy the blower that will fit the engine. It just doesn't make sense to do it the other way around.

Take it from someone that knows from experience.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
If you have a stock shortblock, DO NOT BUY AN F1 blower, unless you want to IMMEDIATELY buy a new engine. With the LT1 F-body you are limited to a 4.50" blower pulley. You can't go any larger because the upper radiator hose is in the way. Even if you could run a 5.00" pulley, an F1(A) would still make approximately 12-14 lbs of boost, and the stock pistons cannot handle that.

I understand it makes sense to buy the bigger blower first, so you're not spending the money twice for another head unit, but if you can't run it on a stock motor, what's the point? You can barely get the boost low enough with a D1SC, let alone an F1.

My recommendation would be if you are set on getting the F1, buy/build an engine that can handle it first. THEN buy the blower that will fit the engine. It just doesn't make sense to do it the other way around.

Take it from someone that knows from experience.

Alright guys I think I am just going to stick with the D-1 plan. The car is driven on the street and really anything over 600rwhp is not going to get any traction . My goal is maybe 800rwhp 1 day and I think with the right combo on the D-1 I can get close enough but 500rwhp to 550rwhp will satisfy me for now. I think the f-1 is overkill I do not wanna make my TA into a damn racecar.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Quick Reply: D-1 kit to F-1 on LT4 motor???